Home >> Salsas and Dips >>
This is a recipe of Mayan origins and since that time it was accustom to mix many spices to condiment the food . In Yucatan and in various countries in Central America it is known as recado (phonetic variation of recaudo) to a paste that results form combining different spices.
The black recado is a condiment with smoky, strong and spicy flavor. It is mainly used to stuff chicken , pork , turkey , etc. It can also be used to season soups or to improve or enhance the flavor of different dishes like the black stuffing or the traditional chilmole.
– As it can be imagined the tonality of this recado is black and it is because the chilies are roasted until they end up totally black – it could be said that the chilies are burned instead of being roasted.
About the Recipe
- This recipe is fairly complicated to make, as there are many interesting steps to follow.
- To make this recipe you will need a good spice grinder.
- In the preparation you will need achiote seeds, in case that you don’t have them they can be substituted for 1/2 tablespoon of achiote paste.
- Be careful because in this recipe the chilies are roasted directly to the fire, almost until carbonize them, and it is possible that your house will fill of smoke.
- Preparation time 30 minutes.
- Recipe for 1 cup of black recado.
DirectionsRoast the Chilies
- Discard the seeds of 12 ancho peppers.
- Take with some tongs 1 of the ancho peppers with the ones you worked and roast it on the stove directly to the fire for approximately 1 minute, until all their sides are totally black; move it regularly.
|Be careful while roasting the chili because it releases a smoke, which can make you scream, cry, sneeze...|
- Put in a bowl the chili that was roasted and reserve.
- Repeat the same procedure with the other 11 ancho peppers with the ones you worked.
- Cover the ancho peppers that were roasted with water and leave them soaking for about 10 minutes, until they recover a little consistency.
While the Chilies Soak...
- Put in a frying pan over medium heat:
- Roast the frying pan ingredients for approximately 1 minute, until they are lightly roasted; stir regularly.
- Transfer from the frying pan to a spice grinder the ingredients that were roasted and reserve.
Grind the Spices
- Put in the frying pan over medium heat:
- 1 tablespoon of Achiote seeds.
- 2 tablespoons of Oregano.
- Roast the frying pan ingredients for about 15 seconds, until they are lightly roasted; stir regularly.
|The spices are roasted so the black recado has more flavor.|
- Transfer from the frying pan to the spice grinder the ingredients that were roasted.
- Grind very well all the spices, until having the consistency of a powder.
- Transfer from the spice grinder to a blender the spices that were ground, then reserve.
Blend the Ingredients
- Verify that the ancho peppers that were left soaking have recovered a little consistency, if not leave them soaking for a longer time.
- Transfer from the bowl to the blender, with the tongs, the ancho peppers that were soaked; then set aside.
- Separate the garlic cloves from 1 garlic head.
- Peel the garlic cloves that were separated and then put them in the blender.
- Also add in the blender:
- 1/2 cup of White Vinegar.
- 1/2 tablespoon of Pepper.
- 1/2 tablespoon of Salt.
- Blend very well the ingredients.
Time to Season
– Mexican Food –
Variations: The black recado is the least popular of the recados because there is also the red recado and the steak recado.
Did you like the Black Recado?
␥ Mexican Cookbooks.
␥ Mexican Food History.
␥ Articles about the Mexican Food.
␥ Index of Mexican Recipes.