Home >> Salsas and Dips >>
– Yucatecan Condiment –
One of the features of the Yucatan cuisine is the originality and the softness of their salsas and pickles. This is largely because of the use of “recados" that are condiments prepared from spices , that have a strong and elaborated flavor; which serve as a base for innumerable dishes. It is the complement that will give that flavor that your food was lacking.
The steak recado is mainly used to season pickles like the pickled chilies , the pickled onions , the white pickled , etc. And as its name says it’s also used to season steaks like the grilled steak , the cecina , the spicy cecina , etc. Although it is also use to marinate poultry or to put a seasoning point to a soup.
About the Recipe
- Making the steak recado is a bit laborious you will see why.
- The preparation of this recado requires a good spice grinder.
- The texture of this paste must be thick, just a little softer than a plasticine block.
- In the steak recado preparation apple cider vinegar is used, although white vinegar could also be used.
- Preparation time 10 minutes.
- Recipe for 1/2 cup of recado.
DirectionsRoast the Garlic Cloves
- Put on a griddle over medium heat 8 garlic cloves and roast them for about 2 minutes, until all their sides are moderately roasted; move them regularly with some tongs.
- Transfer from the griddle to a blender, with the tongs, the garlic cloves that were roasted; then set aside.
Grind the Spices and Blend the Ingredients
- Put in a spice grinder:
- Grind very well all the spices, until having the consistency of a powder.
- Transfer from the spice grinder to the blender the spices that were ground.
- Also add in the blender:
- 1 tablespoon of Oregano.
- 2 teaspoons of Cinnamon.
- 1/2 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar.
- 1 tablespoon of Pepper.
- 1/2 tablespoon of Salt.
- Blend very well all the ingredients.
Enjoy the Condiment
Tip: If you are not going to use the recado right away, refrigerate it and when you are ready to use it add a bit of bitter orange juice to achieve a more potent flavor.
Variation: Taste another type of recado with the black recado.
Did you like the Steak Recado?
More Recipes that you will Like
☀ Tortilla Chips
☀ Fried Plantains
☀ Cream of Corn Soup
☀ Cantaloupe Water