Home >> Salsas and Dips >>
The state of Campeche, situated in the southeast of the Mexican Republic, is a unique mixture of cultures and traditions . It has a strong Mayan lineage but it was also highly influenced by the Spaniards and later by the pirates of different nationalities that docked their coasts.
All these historical events have strongly marked the gastronomy of Campeche. Is a cuisine rich in seafood products, that has a wide variety of preparations based on fishes and shellfish. Therefore also the salsas that have been devised to accompany those dishes are countless .
This Campeche style chili salsa is one of those salsas, it is not very elaborated but it has a lot of flavor due to the mixture of pasilla pepper with orange and garlic . It can be said that its flavor is intense, a bit sweet and with smoky notes.
The salsa is mainly used to accompany the fried fish. Although it can also serve perfectly well for accompanying some breaded shrimps or your favorite snack.
About the Recipe
- If you are starting to cook Mexican food, this salsa is a good beginning.
- The original version of the salsa is prepared in molcajete. If it is prepared this way your salsa will have an excellent consistency.
- In the preparation vinegar is used and we recommend the white vinegar because it combines better with the other ingredients.
- In 10 minutes your salsa will be ready.
- The recipe is for 1 cup of salsa.
- Discard the veins and the seeds of 10 pasilla peppers.
|If you want to give more spiciness and more flavor to your salsa don’t remove the seeds nor the veins of the chilies.|
- Put on a griddle over medium heat:
- The 10 Pasilla Peppers with the ones you worked.
- 5 Garlic cloves.
- Roast the garlics for about 2 minutes and the chilies for about 3 minutes, until all their sides are moderately roasted; move them regularly with some tongs.
- Transfer from the griddle to a blender, with the tongs, the ingredients that were roasted.
- Also add in the blender:
- The juice of 1 Orange.
- 2 tablespoons of White Vinegar.
- 1/2 tablespoon of Salt.
- Blend lightly the ingredients.
Simple and Delicious
Variation: The pasilla pepper is also protagonist in the northern drunk salsa – try it in this presentation.
Did you like the Campeche Style Salsa?
Salsas by States
✲ Morelos Style Mole
✲ Yucatecan Style Pico de Gallo
✲ Adobo Cream of Guerrero
✲ Puebla Style Pipian
✲ Queretan Adobo