Home >> Salsas and Dips >>
Puebla Style Pipian
Although the pipian and the mole are very ancient salsas that have a great tradition behind them, the pipian is Prehispanic and older than the mole . Basically the pipianes are salsas that are prepared with a base of pumpkin seeds that give a thick consistency and a rough texture.
This recipe of Puebla style pipian is similar to the Puebla style mole but without a doubt far less known. The quantity of ingredients that are used is less and the protagonism is for the pumpkin seeds and not for the chilies. However these salsas do share a similarity since chocolate is used in its preparation.
This pipian is a delight – is very fresh because it is prepared with many tomatillos and it is also spicy because it has many chilies. The chocolate and the pumpkin seeds are in charge of giving another dimension to the flavor and as final touch cumin is used to aromatize it. You really won’t be able to resist this pipian.
The Puebla style pipian is excellent to accompany cooked pieces of chicken or pork. When these magnificent plates are served make sure of putting warm tortillas on the table.
About the Recipe
- If you believe that the pipianes are difficult to prepare, here you will see that such believe doesn’t apply for this pipian.
- The pumpkin seeds that are used in the preparation must not have shell nor salt.
- In the preparation chocolate is used and it has to be semi-sweet.
- In order for the pipian to have more flavor chicken stock is used, prepare it with us and the flavor will be even better.
- In 40 minutes the salsa will be ready however while it cooks (30 minutes), you will almost won’t work in the recipe.
- The recipe yields about 4 cups.
DirectionsFry the Pumpkin Seeds and Blend Many Ingredients
- Melt in a frying pan over medium heat 1 tablespoon of lard.
- Incorporate in the frying pan 1⅓ cups of pumpkin seeds and fry them for about 2 minutes, until they are moderately fried; stir regularly.
- Transfer from the frying pan to a blender the pumpkin seeds that were fried.
- Also add in the blender:
- 10 Tomatillos.
- 6 Serrano Peppers.
- 4 Garlic cloves.
- 1/2 teaspoon of Cumin.
- 3 cups of Chicken Stock.
- 1/4 tablespoon of Salt.
|If you don’t want such a spicy pipian remove the seeds and the veins of the serrano peppers.|
- Blend very well the ingredients and reserve.
Cook the Pipian
- Melt in a saucepan over medium heat 1 tablespoon of lard.
- Incorporate in the saucepan:
- The Mixture that was blended.
- 1/2 Chocolate tablet.
- Mix the saucepan ingredients and bring the mixture to a boil over high heat; stir regularly.
- When the mixture boils cook it for about 5 minutes, until the chocolate has dissolved; stir regularly.
- Reduce to low heat and cook the Puebla style pipian for about 30 minutes, until it thickens a little and acquires a more intense and bright color; stir occasionally.
As Good as
the Puebla Style Mole
Suggestion: When this pipian is served garnish it with sesame seeds and a parsley sprig.
Variation: Now discover how the pipian is prepared in Yucatan.
Did you like the Puebla Style Pipian?
More Mexican Recipes
✧ Avocado Dip
✧ Rice Pudding
✧ Cantaloupe Water
✧ Vegetarian Burrito
✧ Chicken Tacos