Home >> Salsas and Dips >>
– delicate flavors –
This recipe is very exotic because we are going to have the larvae of a type of ant immersed in the guacamole, this larva is better known as “escamoles".
Possibly with this introduction you don’t want neither to prepare nor to taste this variety of the guacamole... but the reality is that the escamoles have a very good flavor, is similar to the pork rinds and within the Mexican cuisine they are considered a delicacy.
The escamoles’ flavor is also soft and it combines perfectly well with the avocado . In the recipe other ingredients are also used that give freshness and more flavor to the whole preparation. In this guacamole you will taste very Mexican flavors and it can be enjoyed wrapped in a tortilla or accompanying different snacks.
About the Recipe
- Although there are many steps to follow to prepare this guacamole, the recipe is simple.
- The escamoles are not easy to get, they are obtained in the periods of march and april in certain areas of Mexico. In case that you don’t find them they can also be used canned.
- In the preparation the escamoles are fried and we recommend using butter so they will have a softer flavor.
- To make this recipe 15 minutes are needed.
- The recipe yields 2 cups.
- Put in a strainer 1 cup of escamoles, rinse them and remove any rubbish that you find; then reserve.
|If you are using canned escamoles is not necessary to rinse them.|
- Finely chop 1 epazote sprig and reserve.
- Melt in a frying pan over low heat 1 tablespoon of butter.
- Add in the frying pan the epazote that was minced and fry it for about 20 seconds, until it is lightly fried; stir regularly.
- Put in the frying pan the escamoles that were rinsed. Mix the ingredients and fry them for approximately 1½ minutes, until the escamoles acquire a white color; stir occasionally. Then set aside.
- Dice 1 tomato and then reserve.
- Remove the seeds and the veins of 1 serrano pepper.
- Finely chop the serrano pepper with the one you worked and 1/4 of an onion; then set aside.
- Scoop out the pulp of 2 avocados and put it in a bowl; reserve 1 avocado pit.
- Mash with a fork the avocados’ pulp that was put in the bowl, until having the consistency of a puree.
- Add in the bowl:
- The Tomato dices that were cut.
- The Serrano Pepper that was minced.
- The Onion that was minced.
- The juice of 1 Lime.
- 1/2 tablespoon of Salt.
|The lime juice is very important because it is used for the avocado not to oxidize.|
- Mix very well the bowl ingredients with a mixing spatula.
- Incorporate in the bowl the mixture that was fried and mix the escamoles guacamole with the mixing spatula.
- Insert in the guacamole the avocado pit that was reserved.
|The avocado pit serves to preserve the guacamole for a longer time.|
* This delight has to be eaten quick because it will only last 1 day.
Variation: The escamoles can also be found in the version of a salsa.
Did you like the Guacamole?
More Mexican Recipes
Ω Shellfish Soup
Ω Blue Tortilla
Ω Jumil Salsa
Ω Horchata Water