Fresh, Light and Nutritious
This is a salad that has all what you can ask for in a meal since it is fresh, light, nutritious and its flavor is spectacular... what else can you ask for...
This salpicon consists of the mixture of various vegetables with shredded beef and that’s not all because the salpicon comes to the table garnished with avocado, tomato and onion; that make them look formidable.
– In this salad you will find an harmonious and soft flavor. An authentic delight for the most exigent palates.
The beef salpicon is normally served as appetizer although it can also be served as main course. And not only that it is also an excellent snack for parties, which can be served with tortilla chips , tortillas or over tostadas.
About the Recipe
- You may consider this recipe laborious but it is easy to make, only some work is required.
- This salad is prepared with skirt steak. It is very important to get this cut because is the best one to shred.
- The salpicon is prepared with lettuce and we recommend the romaine lettuce because it is crispy and it has a slight bitter point that combines very good with the other ingredients.
- The beef salpicon will be ready in . It is somewhat slow because the beef takes a while to be cooked.
- The recipe is for 5 persons.
DirectionsCook the Skirt Steak
- Put in a saucepan:
- 1.1 lbs of Skirt Steak.
- 1/2 White Onion.
- 2 Bay Leaves.
- The enough Water to cover all the ingredients.
- 1/2 tablespoon of Salt.
- Bring the saucepan water to a boil over high heat.
- When it boils reduce to medium heat, cover the saucepan and leave the beef cooking for approximately 1 hour, until it is well cooked.
|Make sure that the beef is always covered with water because it will consume. If scum accumulates on the surface remove it.|
|If you use pressure cooker to cook the skirt steak, it will only take about 30 minutes to cook it.|
While the Beef is Ready... Cut
- Dice 2 tomatoes, transfer them to a bowl and reserve.
- Cut into strips 1/2 lettuce and 1/2 red onion; then pass them to the bowl and reserve.
- Finely cut 1 serrano pepper and 1 coriander sprig. Upon completion put them in the bowl and reserve.
When the Beef is about to be Ready...
- Put in another bowl:
- The juice of 1 Lime.
- 2 tablespoons of Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
- 1 tablespoon of White Vinegar.
- Pepper to taste.
- 1/4 tablespoon of Salt.
- Beat the bowl ingredients with a balloon whisk or with a fork, until they are well integrated; then reserve.
- Verify that the skirt steak that was left cooking is well cooked and soft, if not cook it for a longer time.
- Take from the saucepan the beef with a kitchen spoon, wait until it cools a little and shred it; then set aside.
|Don’t throw away the broth that was obtained from cooking the beef because it is very tasty and you can use it to prepare a soup.|
Mix All the Ingredients
- Dice 2 avocados and put them in the bowl, where are all the ingredients that were cut.
|The avocado has to be cut at the end because it oxidizes quickly and it turns to a darker color.|
- Also add in the bowl, where all the ingredients that were cut are:
- The Skirt Steak that was shredded.
- The Mixture that was beaten in the other bowl.
- Mix very well the beef salpicon with a mixing spatula.
|If you want to garnish the salad you can put over it some tomato slices, some avocado strips and some red onion in half moons.|
“The Beef Salpicon"
Variation: Try the version of chicken salpicon.
Did you like the Shredded Beef Salad?
ᐳ Would you like to add a salsa to the shredded beef salad?
ᐳ Not only tortilla chips and tostadas can be prepared with maize – see all what is made with the maize.
ᐳ Also enjoy something sweet with a Mexican Dessert.