Home >> Salsas and Dips >>
Almonds and Chili Salsa
The Mexican gastronomy is rich and extensive in dishes, ingredients, cookware , etc. There is no doubt that one of its pillars are their salsas , that provide flavor and seasoning to dishes that without them they would go unnoticed or they would simply not exist.
Many of these salsas combine chilies with different seeds, like the moles and the pipianes. However in this case the almonds and chili salsa is a simpler and lighter version – it also has a lot of flavor and its texture is unmistakable .
The salsa has a thick consistency and a spicy touch ; perfect for serving over a baked pork loin or a roasted chicken.
About the Recipe
- In the recipe preparation many activities are going to be performed, it is laborious but is not difficult to make.
- We recommend using sliced almonds because it is easier to work with them.
- Almonds into pieces can also be used but you won’t be able to play that much with the salsa’s texture.
- You will need about in the preparation.
- We give the recipe for 2 cups.
DirectionsRoast the Chilies
- Remove the veins and the seeds of 2 ancho peppers, 2 mulato peppers and 2 pasilla peppers.
|If you want your salsa to have a denser consistency and more hotness don’t remove the veins nor the seeds of the chilies.|
- Put on a griddle over medium heat:
- The 2 Ancho Peppers with the ones you worked.
- The 2 Mulato Peppers with the ones you worked.
- The 2 Pasilla Peppers with the ones you worked.
- Roast the chilies that were put on the griddle for about 4 minutes, until all their sides are moderately roasted; move them regularly with some tongs.
- Transfer from the griddle to a bowl, with the tongs, all the chilies that were roasted.
- Cover the chilies that were roasted with boiling water and leave them soaking for about 10 minutes, until they soften.
While the Chilies Soak...
- Dice 3 tomatoes, then reserve.
- Finely chop 1/2 onion and 1 garlic clove; then set aside.
- Heat in a frying pan over low heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Incorporate in the frying pan 1/2 cup of almonds and fry them for approximately 1½ minutes, until they are lightly fried; stir regularly.
- Transfer from the frying pan to a blender the almonds that were fried, then reserve.
|If you are using almonds into pieces or sliced is not necessary to blend them, just incorporate them in the salsa when it is ready. In this way your salsa will have a very interesting texture.|
Fry More Ingredients
- Heat in the frying pan over medium heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Incorporate in the frying pan:
- The dices of the Tomatoes that were cut.
- The Onion that was minced.
- The Garlic clove that was minced.
- Mix the frying pan ingredients and fry them for about 3 minutes, until they are moderately fried; stir regularly.
- Transfer from the frying pan to the blender the ingredients that were fried, then reserve.
Back to the Chilies
- Verify that the chilies that were left soaking are soft, if not leave them soaking for a longer time.
- Transfer from the bowl to the blender, with the tongs, the chilies that were soaked.
- Also add in the blender:
- 1/2 cup of Water (4.2 fl oz).
- 1/2 tablespoon of Salt.
- Blend very well the ingredients.
A Very Good Combination
Recommendation: If you liked to use almonds in the preparation... use them again in the mole from the Lowland.
Did you like the Almond Salsa?
☻ Rice Pudding
☻ Cream and Cinnamon Bananas
☻ Sweet Carrot Salad