Home >> Salsas and Dips >>
The oil is a widely used ingredient in all the cuisines of the world. Now imagine that we add to that subtle and soft flavor of the oil the flavors the Mexicans like the most... that is the chili and the lime.
This type of oil is known as compound oil because it is enriched with chili and lime
. The beauty of this recipe is that in a short time you will see a beautiful glass jar filled with oil and in the bottom you will see many arbol peppers and lime chunks that interact with the oil that fill it with flavor.
It is a fact that the chili and lime oil will give a very special touch to any type of food that you will fry. It is possible that you will no longer require salsas thanks to that different flavor that your food will acquire however if you decide to use a salsa
– the combinations that can be generated surely will be wonderful
– Another very simple application can be given to this oil, that consists of tasting it with bread.
About the Recipe
- In this recipe you have to work a little but it is not difficult to make.
- We don’t recommend using extra virgin oil because its flavor is strong and the flavor of the chili and the lime would be lost.
- We give the recipe with olive oil but a vegetable oil of your liking can also be used.
- The preparation time is of 20 minutes.
- With this preparation you will obtain 1 qt of oil.
4 cups of Olive Oil (1 qt)
8 Arbol Peppers (1.4 oz)
1 Lime (1 oz)
1/2 tablespoon of Salt
1 Glass Jar with Lid
1 Cutting Board
Work with the Lime
- Cut 1 lime into half moons and then put them in a plate.
- Sprinkle over the half moons of lime 1/2 tablespoon of salt and leave them resting for about 15 minutes, until they slightly dehydrate.
||The lime goes through this process because we want its flavor present in the oil but not its juice.
While the Lime is Ready...
- Put on a griddle over medium heat 8 arbol peppers and roast them for approximately 1 minute, until all their sides are moderately roasted; move them regularly with some tongs.
- Transfer from the griddle to a glass jar, with the tongs, the chilies that were roasted; then set aside.
- Verify that the half moons of lime that were left resting are slightly dehydrated, if not leave them resting for a longer time.
- Put in the glass jar:
- The half moons of Lime with the ones you worked.
- 4 cups of Olive Oil.
- Close the glass jar and leave the chili and lime oil resting in a fresh and airy place for 15 days, so the flavors mix.
This oil will last
Did you like the Oil?
Other Mexican Recipes
✄ Peasant Rice
✄ Machaca with Egg
✄ Lima Soup
✄ Spicy Cecina