Home >> Salsas and Dips >>
Now you are going to prepare a salsa from the state of Chiapas. The chirmol is a simple salsa of tomato, banana pepper and a few more ingredients – from which a salsa is obtained that is fresh, slightly sweet and with a soft hotness .
This salsa specializes in breakfasts. It really is perfect to put on almost any breakfast dish that you are going to have like: eggs , beans , molletes, etc.
The chirmol is also prepared in different ways in different countries like in Guatemala and in El Salvador. Although each country has its special way of preparing it. The reality is that the country doesn’t matter nor the variation, it always is an excellent salsa and here we are going to prepare it with Mexican style.
About the Recipe
- To make the chirmol you only have to work a bit with some ingredients and then the salsa is blended. Definitely a procedure that doesn’t have any complication.
- The chili that is required for this salsa is the banana pepper and it has to be fresh.
- In the chirmol preparation fresh coriander is used, dried coriander could also be used. You would only have to adjust the quantity to 1 tablespoon and unfortunately the freshness of the freshly chopped coriander won’t be obtained in the final seasoning.
- In 10 minutes your chirmol will be ready.
- The recipe is for 2 cups.
DirectionsWork with the Tomatoes
- Make a shallow X cut on the inferior part of 3 tomatoes.
- Put in a saucepan the tomatoes that were cut and cover them with water.
- Bring the saucepan water to a boil over high heat.
- When it boils reduce to medium heat and leave the tomatoes cooking in the boiling water for about 5 minutes, until they soften.
- Take from the saucepan, with a kitchen spoon, the tomatoes that were cooked and rinse them with cold water.
- Remove the skin of the tomatoes that were rinsed. Upon completion put them in a blender and reserve.
|The tomatoes’ skin has to be removed because it is not pleasant to find the skin of a tomato in the salsa.|
Work with the Other Ingredients
- Finely chop 2 coriander sprigs, then set aside.
- Remove the seeds and the veins of 2 banana peppers. Then put them in the blender.
- Also add in the blender:
- Pepper to taste.
- 1/4 tablespoon of Salt.
- Blend very well the ingredients.
- Pour over a bowl the chirmol and sprinkle the coriander that was minced.
- Mix the chirmol with a mixing spatula.
Variation: The banana pepper can also be used to make chili water.
Did you like the Chirmol?
The States and Its Salsas
➔ Adobo Cream from Guerrero
➔ Chilakil from the Southeast
➔ Adobo from Hidalgo
➔ Yucatecan style Pico de Gallo
➔ Adobo from Queretaro