Home >> Salsas and Dips >>
sweet and creamy
The piloncillo consists of cane unrefined sugar that the Mexican gastronomy has adopted to make many of its most traditional dishes like atoles
, candies, breads
and even salsas.
The first thing that we have to note about this recipe is that it is a sweet salsa – it is not the typical Mexican salsa that is mixed with chilies, onion and garlic. This preparation is very different because the piloncillo is mixed with dairy products that generate a soft, creamy and delicious salsa
The piloncillo salsa is perfect
to accompany desserts
, it can also be used to put to some pancakes, to some waffles or to some sweet crepes. In the world of savory dishes the salsa doesn’t have any application... well there’s only one recipe in Tabasco that consists of stuffed chilies seasoned with this salsa.
About the Recipe
- This recipe is a bit complicated, follow the steps carefully so it will be a success.
- The salsa is prepared with butter and we recommend using unsalted butter so it has a better seasoning.
- To thicken the salsa corn starch is used and it cannot be substituted for maize flour.
- In 15 minutes the salsa will be ready.
- We give the recipe for 3 cups of salsa.
4 Piloncillo cones (6.3 oz)
1 tablespoon of Butter
1/2 tablespoon of Corn Starch
1 cup of Mexican Cream (8.4 fl oz)
1 Measuring Cup
Perform some Activities
- Put in a glass:
- 1/2 tablespoon of Corn Starch.
- 2 tablespoons of Water.
- Mix very well the glass ingredients, with a spoon, until the corn starch dissolves. Then set aside.
- Put in a saucepan:
- 4 Piloncillo cones.
- 2 cups of Water (1/2 qt).
- Bring the water that was put in the saucepan to a boil over hight heat; stir constantly.
- When it boils reduce to medium heat and cook the mixture for about 4 minutes, until the piloncillo dissolves; stir constantly.
Cook the Salsa
- Transfer from the saucepan to another saucepan the mixture that was cooked.
||The salsa is transferred to another saucepan so the mixture cools down a bit and in this way when the dairy products are added, they won’t break.
- Incorporate in the saucepan, along with the mixture that was cooked:
- Mix the saucepan ingredients and bring the mixture to a boil over medium heat; stir occasionally.
- Cook the mixture for about 3 minutes, until it thickens a little; stir constantly.
- Incorporate in the saucepan the corn starch that was dissolved.
- Mix the piloncillo salsa and cook it for about 3 minutes, until it thickens; stir constantly.
is also used to make a delicious chipotle salsa.
Did you like the Piloncillo Salsa?
Mexican Sweet Recipes
☞ Horchata Water
☞ Cream and Honey Fried Plantains
☞ Sweet Carrot Salad