Cream and Honey
It may sound a little odd that the fried plantain can transform into a dessert. One would think that it can be an appetizer or a garnish but never a dessert. Well in the Mexican cuisine many things are possible.
It is curious but the fried plantain has a slightly bitter flavor but when it is fried, it acquires a flavor that is sweet and a bit smoky. Then a combination of sweet ingredients are added, that give a very special and very appetizing flavor to this dessert.
– Previously the word plantain was mentioned. This type of banana is bigger and thicker than a regular banana. Unlike bananas the peel gets darker as the plantain ripes, making it sweeter and of firm consistency.
About the Recipe
- This recipe is very easy to make, only the plantains have to be fried and then they are garnished.
- The recipe is prepared with plantain and this type of banana really has to be used because when it is fried, it doesn’t lose its consistency.
- We recommend using vegetable oil to fry the plantains because it resists high temperatures and it doesn’t give any flavor to the dish.
- In this recipe honey is used, in case of not having you could also use 2 tablespoons of sugar.
- Preparation time .
- Recipe for 4 persons.
DirectionsFry the Plantains
- Peel 2 plantains and cut them into diagonal slices, of approximately .2’’ thick; then set aside.
- Pour in a frying pan approximately 1 cup of vegetable oil, so you end up having about a 1/2’’ deep oil layer.
- Heat the frying pan oil over high heat.
- Put in the frying pan the plantain slices that were cut and fry them for about 2 minutes per each side, until they are moderately fried.
|Don’t get scared... when the plantain slices are put in the oil many bubbles will pop up.|
- Transfer from the frying pan to some paper towels, with the tongs, the plantain slices that were fried so they dry and the fat excess is absorbed; then reserve.
- Put in a bowl:
- 1/2 cup of Mexican Cream.
- 2 tablespoons of Honey.
- Cinnamon to taste.
- Mix the bowl ingredients with a mixing spatula or with a spoon, until they are well integrated.
- Serve the plantains that were fried and pour over them the mixture that was prepared.
Enjoy your Dessert
Recommendation: You can put some jam to these plantains, it gives a very good flavor.
Variation: There is a very similar dessert to this one that is prepared with regular bananas and they are not fried.
Did you like the Fried Plantains?
Other Mexican Recipes
Ꮬ Fried Tortilla Chips
Ꮬ Melted Cheese
Ꮬ Jicama Salad