The ceviche is a recipe that can be found in all Latin America but the origin is attributed to Peru. Where thousands of years ago the indigenous people began cooking fish in the juice of a citrus . Then ingredients started to be added to this preparation and with the arrival of the Spaniards more ingredients were included.
The ceviche is a recipe that has been adopted and adapted in many countries, including Mexico. In the Mexican ceviche you will find a great combination of fresh ingredients, elaborated flavors and a spicy touch . But the best about this dish is that it has the ability of making you feel at a wonderful Mexican beach.
The ceviche can be served as entree plate or as a main course accompanied with different garnishes like: rice , tostadas , guacamole , mixed salad , etc.
About the Recipe
- In this recipe only the fish has to be marinated and then mixed with many ingredients. Steps that are very easy to perform.
- The ceviche is prepared with raw fish therefore you must buy the freshest fish that you find. Don’t worry you won’t eat raw fish, it is cooked with lime.
- It is also important buying skinless and boneless fish because it is very complex to remove them.
- The recipe is prepared with white fish and you can use the pompano, snook, golden, sawfish, tilapia, etc.
- The preparation time is of
- The recipe serves 4 portions.
DirectionsMarinate the Fish
- Dice 1.1 lbs of skinless and boneless white fish and put them in a food container.
- Add in the food container, where the fish was put:
- The juice of 10 Limes.
- 1 tablespoon of Salt.
- Mix very well the food container ingredients with a mixing spatula.
- Cover the food container, put it in the fridge and leave the white fish marinating for 1 hour, so the flavors mix.
Prepare the Ceviche
- Take from the fridge the food container and put in a bowl the fish that was marinated, without adding all the lime juice just a small quantity.
|You will notice that the fish had a transparent appearance and through the lime cooking it has turned white color.|
- Dice 1 avocado and 2 tomatoes; upon completion put them in the bowl along with the white fish and reserve.
- Finely chop 1/2 red onion, 1 serrano pepper and 4 coriander sprigs. Upon completion pass these ingredients to the bowl.
|If you want your ceviche to be very spicy, substitute the serrano pepper for habanero pepper.|
- Also add in the bowl pepper to taste.
- Mix very well the ceviche with the mixing spatula.
- Put in the fridge the bowl and leave the ceviche resting for 10 minutes so it will be fresher and the flavors mix.
Now You Have a Fresh
and Delicious Ceviche
* The ceviche can be garnished with tortilla chips or with crackers.
Suggestion: In Mexico is accustom to serve the ceviche in conical glass cups. If you have some available use them – the ceviche will look precious.
Variations: Shrimp ceviche , octopus ceviche , vegetarian ceviche , etc.
Did you like the Ceviche?
More Mexican Recipes that are Fresh
➤ Crab Tostada
➤ Nopal Cactus Salad
➤ Shredded Chicken Salad