Home >> Salsas and Dips >>
The mole is one of the most representative preparations of the extensive Mexican recipe book. There are so many different varieties
of moles that is even complicated to enumerate them. Besides the different varieties, we count with different versions of a same mole, depending of the state where it is elaborated.
This red mole is a recipe that comes to us from the state of Michoacan and although there are other well known red moles, like the one from Oaxaca
or the one from Queretaro – this one is also necessary because it provides another touch to this category of moles
. It is a mole that is not very elaborated, it has an intense red color, its flavor is also intense and it has slight sweet notes.
This type of red mole will give a very special flavor to some chicken pieces and it will also embellish them with a nice color. When the plate is served also add white rice
; we are sure that everyone will like it.
About the Recipe
- This recipe is laborious but is not difficult.
- The red mole is prepared with pumpkin seeds and they must not have shell nor salt so the final flavor is not altered.
- In the preparation lard is used to give to the mole its original flavor although it could also be substituted for olive oil.
- The preparation will take you 45 minutes.
- The recipe yields 8 portions.
6 Ancho Peppers (2.1 oz)
6 Guajillo Peppers (2.1 oz)
6 Pasilla Peppers (2.1 oz)
1 cup of Pumpkin Seeds (5.3 oz)
4 Garlic cloves (.6 oz)
6 cups of Chicken Stock (1.5 qts)
6 tablespoons of Lard (3.4 oz)
5 Black Peppercorns
1/4 tablespoon of Salt
1 Frying Pan
1 Measuring Cup
1 Cutting Board
1 Kitchen Spoon
Work with the Chilies
- Remove the veins and the seeds of 6 ancho peppers, 6 guajillo peppers and 6 pasilla peppers.
- Put in a saucepan:
- The 6 Ancho Peppers with the ones you worked.
- The 6 Guajillo Peppers with the ones you worked.
- The 6 Pasilla Peppers with the ones you worked.
- The enough Water to cover all the chilies.
Fry and Blend
- Bring the saucepan water to a boil over high heat.
- Leave the chilies cooking in the boiling water for about 5 minutes, until they soften.
- Remove from the saucepan, with a kitchen spoon, all the chilies that were cooked and reserve.
- Melt in a frying pan over medium heat 1 tablespoon of lard.
- Add in the frying pan 1 cup of pumpkin seeds and fry them for about 40 seconds, until they are lightly fried; stir regularly.
- Transfer from the frying pan to a blender the pumpkin seeds that were fried.
- Also add in the blender:
Cook and Blend Again
- Blend very well the ingredients and reserve.
- Melt in a saucepan over medium heat 5 tablespoons of lard.
- Add in the saucepan the mixture that was blended and mix the ingredients.
- Cook the saucepan mixture for about 5 minutes, until it thickens a little; stir occasionally.
- When the cooking is done turn off the heat and reserve.
- Put in the blender:
- The 6 Ancho Peppers that were cooked.
- The 6 Guajillo Peppers that were cooked.
- The 6 Pasilla Peppers that were cooked.
- 2 cups of Chicken Stock (1/2 qt).
Cook the Mole
- Blend very well the ingredients.
- Put in the saucepan, where the mixture that was cooked is:
- Strain the Mixture that was blended.
- 2 cups of Chicken Stock (1/2 qt).
- 1/4 tablespoon of Salt.
- Mix the saucepan ingredients.
- Cook the red mole over low heat for about 25 minutes, until it thickens and acquires an intense red color; stir occasionally.
||If the red mole is left resting for about 2 hours, its flavor is going to be much better.
Now try the mole with a yellow
Did you like the Mole?
More Mexican Moles
☃ Almond Mole
☃ Mole from Guerrero
☃ Puebla Style Mole
☃ Red Chichilo Mole
☃ Ladies Beak Mole from Guanajuato