Home >> Appetizers >>
...and very tasty
– White Rice?
– Within the Mexican food?
– But this is from China or from Southeast Asia.
Well, we already know that it sounds strange to include the white rice recipe as part of the Mexican food... but it is very important because many of the Mexican typical dishes are accompanied with white rice and it can also be served as appetizer.
In order for you to believe us, these are just some main courses that can be accompanied with the white rice: garlic shrimps , grilled steak , chicken in pipian sauce , cecina , red enchiladas with chicken , chorizo , pork picadillo , etc.
Once the white rice is integrated on the plate next to Mexican food, then it dose look “Mexican".
About the Recipe
- This rice is very easy to make, you only have to learn some tricks along the way.
- The “golden rule" to cook rice, is that the water or the broth must be double the rice.
- We recommend cooking the rice in a saucepan that is not that tall and with a thick bottom so your rice have the best consistency.
- In this recipe the rice is cooked with garlic and onion to give it more flavor.
- Preparation time .
- Serves 4 portions.
DirectionsPerform Many Activities
- Finely chop 1/4 of an onion, then reserve.
- Rinse in a strainer 1 cup of white rice, then set aside.
|It is important to rinse well the rice before cooking it because this eliminates the starch that it has on its surface and the rice grain ends up looser so it doesn’t stick when cooking.|
- Heat in a saucepan over medium heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Incorporate in the saucepan the onion that was minced and fry it for approximately 1 minute, until it looks a bit transparent; stir regularly.
- Reduce to low heat and put in the saucepan the white rice cup that was rinsed and fry it for about 45 seconds, until it acquires a little lighter color; stir constantly.
Cook the Rice
- Add in the saucepan, along with the other ingredients:
- 1 Garlic clove.
- 2 cups of Water (1/2 qt).
- 1/2 tablespoon of Salt.
- Mix the saucepan ingredients and bring the water to a boil over high heat.
- When it boils reduce to low heat, cover the saucepan and leave the rice cooking for about 15 minutes, until the water has totally consumed.
|Throughout this process don’t stir nor touch the rice because it will become a mess.|
|To verify that the rice is cooked stick the turner all the way into the bottom of the saucepan and drag the rice. If there is no more water in the bottom the rice is ready... if there is still water the rice needs more cooking.|
- When the cooking is done turn off the heat and leave the white rice resting for about 4 minutes, until the rice grains absorb the moisture and are loose.
- When the resting is done discard the garlic clove.
Accompany it with Your
Favorite Mexican Food
Tip: If you want to give more flavor to your rice put a Mexican salsa.
Suggestion: Put lime to this rice it tastes delicious.
Variation: Let’s change white for red ... or for green ??
Did you like the White Rice?
Mexican Main Courses
↠ Veracruz Style Fish
↠ Green Enchiladas with Cottage Cheese
↠ Chicken in Adobo
↠ Steak with Onions