Home >> Vegetarian >>
with Cottage Cheese
The enchiladas are a summary of some very interesting elements that live in the Mexican cuisine : tortillas, salsa and imagination.
In the enchiladas dish the salsa is in charge of covering the tortillas also the tortillas are in charged of wrapping the imagination of the Mexican cook since the enchiladas can be filled with diverse ingredients.
In this recipe the Mexican imagination gets too far since cottage cheese accompanied of other ingredients is used to fill the enchiladas. As final touch the enchiladas are garnished with many ingredients so they will have more flavor. This main course can be served plain or it can be served accompanied of refried beans and tortilla chips.
About the Recipe
- Preparing the enchiladas is laborious and a bit complicated therefore follow carefully the procedure so the enchiladas will come out delicious.
- Don’t use olive oil in this recipe because it is not good for frying the tortillas.
- The salsa that is used in the enchiladas is made with 2 serrano peppers. If you consider that it will be too spicy for you, use less.
- You can prepare the corn tortillas that are used in the enchiladas and they will have much more freshness.
- The preparation time is of .
- Recipe for 10 enchiladas.
DirectionsPrepare a Green Salsa
- Put in a saucepan:
- 10 Tomatillos.
- 2 Serrano Peppers.
- The enough Water to cover all the ingredients.
- Bring the saucepan water to a boil over high heat.
- Leave the saucepan ingredients cooking in the boiling water for about 5 minutes, until the tomatillos turn to a lighter color.
|Don’t cook the tomatillos for a long time, because its skin breaks and its flavor becomes bitter.|
- Transfer from the saucepan to a blender, with a kitchen spoon, the tomatillos and the serrano peppers that were cooked.
- Also add in the blender:
- 1/4 of an Onion (1.2 oz).
- 1 Garlic clove.
- 2 Coriander sprigs (.7 oz).
- Pepper to taste.
- Blend very well the ingredients, then set aside.
Cook the Green Salsa
- Heat in the saucepan over medium heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Pour in the saucepan:
- The Green Salsa that was blended.
- 1/4 tablespoon of Salt.
- Mix the saucepan ingredients and bring the salsa to a boil over high heat.
- When the salsa boils reduce to medium heat and cook it for about 4 minutes, until it thickens a little and acquires a more intense color; stir occasionally. Then set aside.
Fry the Tortillas
- Pour in a frying pan approximately 1 cup of vegetable oil, so you end up having about a 1/2’’ deep oil layer.
- Heat the frying pan oil over high heat.
- Take 1 maize tortilla with some tongs, dip it in the frying pan oil and fry it for about 7 seconds per each side, until it is lightly fried.
|Don’t fry the tortilla for a long time because it will become tostada and it will no longer be useful ☹|
- Transfer from the frying pan to some paper towels, with the tongs, the tortilla that was fried so it dries and the fat excess is absorbed; then reserve.
- Repeat the same procedure with 9 more tortillas, it won’t be necessary to add more vegetable oil in the frying pan.
|All this procedure is done so the tortillas have more flavor.|
Perform some Activities
- Cut 2 avocados into strips, then reserve.
- Finely chop 1/4 of an onion (1.2 oz) and 3 coriander sprigs (1 oz); then set aside.
- Put in a bowl:
- The Coriander that was minced.
- 17.6 oz of Cottage Cheese.
- Pepper to taste.
- 1/4 tablespoon of Salt.
- Mix very well the bowl ingredients with a mixing spatula, then reserve.
Make the Green Enchiladas
- Heat over medium heat the green salsa that was cooked for about 2 minutes, until it is very hot.
- Take with the tongs one of the fried tortillas (that was put on paper towels) and dip it in the green salsa that was heated.
- Put on a large plate the fried tortilla with salsa and put over the tortilla some of the cottage cheese that was prepared.
- Roll the tortilla as taco or fold it as quesadilla; then set aside.
- Repeat the same procedure with the other 9 fried tortillas. Upon completion if there is green salsa remaining pour it over the enchiladas.
- Add over the green enchiladas with cottage cheese the following ingredients:
- 1/2 cup of Mexican Cream.
- The Onion that was minced.
- The strips of the Avocados that were cut.
These Enchiladas are so
Recommendation: If you want your enchiladas to have more freshness put over them some lettuce strips.
Variation: Would you like to taste the enchiladas with chicken and with red salsa.
Did you like the Enchiladas?
Other Mexican Recipes that you will Like
༅ Corn Soup
༅ Mexican Style Eggs
༅ Tacos of Chorizo with Potatoes
༅ Shrimp Brochette with Achiote
༅ Huitlacoche Quesadilla