The fried tostadas are corn tortillas that are fried until they get a hard and crispy consistency . In this process the tortilla also acquires more flavor and it turns into a beautiful golden color.
In Mexico the tostadas are used to accompany dishes like pozole , ceviche , refried beans , etc. They can also be used to make the famous tostadas, that consist of a tostada covered with a mountain of food like the chorizo and potato tostada or the crab tostada.
*Don´t get confused the word tostada is used to refer to the crispy tortilla and it is also used to refer to the dish of tostadas.
About the Recipe
- This recipe is very easy to make, only tortillas have to be fried.
- Preferably use old tortillas in this recipe because they absorb less fat at the moment of frying them.
- It is very important to use a vegetable oil, when the tortillas are fried because they resist very high temperatures.
- Preparation time .
- We give the recipe for 6 fried tostadas.
- Pour in a frying pan approximately 1 cup of vegetable oil, so you end up having about a 1/2’’ deep oil layer.
- Heat the frying pan oil over high heat.
- Take with some tongs 1 maize tortilla, dip it in the frying pan oil and fry it for about 30 seconds per each side, until it is well fried.
|When the tortilla is put in the oil many bubbles will pop up due to the water that the tortilla contains, which evaporates quickly.|
- Transfer from the frying pan to some paper towels, with the tongs, the tortilla that was fried so it dries and the fat excess is absorbed.
- Sprinkle over the fried tostada that was dried a little bit of salt and serve it.
- Repeat the same procedure with 5 more tortillas, it won’t be necessary to add more vegetable oil in the frying pan.
Viariation: If you are on a diet and you want some lighter tostadas , prepare baked tostadas.
Did you like the Fried Tostadas?
ӿ Red Menudo
ӿ Shrimp Chilpachole
ӿ Tlalpeno Soup
ӿ Corn Soup
ӿ Cream of Bean Soup