A party in Mexico is not a party without enjoying this soup. This delicious dish is served in almost all the Mexican celebrations including weddings, fifteen years, baptisms, new year, etc. In the towns is where it is more accustom to eat menudo, you will always see it in the fondas menu.
It is also said that the menudo is a very good remedy for the hangover, like the chilaquiles. Therefore you will also see it the next day... after the party.
This soup consists of a tasty red broth that is prepared with guajillo pepper. The broth’s flavor is not spicy, it only has some slight strong notes. The soup has as main ingredients beef tripe, beef leg and white hominy – but that’s not all because also other ingredients are used to season it. And as final touch, to garnish the soup, lime, onion and oregano is put on the table; that give an exact touch.
*The best of the menudo is that it is very cheap to make it. Then if you spent a lot of money at the party, don’t worry you will always have enough to make the menudo.
About the Recipe
- To prepare the menudo there are many steps to follow, so pay lots of attention so your dish will be a success.
- We recommend using clean beef tripe in the preparation because it is very complicated to clean it in an adequate way.
- The recipe is given with precooked white hominy however if you get it raw you will have to follow the next steps.
- In this recipe leg beef is used and preferably buy it cut into large chunks so you won’t work that much.
- The total preparation time is of approximately .
- The recipe serves 4 plates.
DirectionsCook the Beef
- Clean 1.1 lbs of beef tripe and 1.1 lbs of beef leg; upon completion rinse them and reserve.
- Cut into large chunks the 1.1 lbs of beef leg that was rinsed; upon completion put them in a saucepan and reserve.
- Cut into small chunks the 1.1 lbs of beef tripe that was rinsed; upon completion put them in the saucepan.
- Also incorporate in the saucepan:
- 1/2 Onion (2.4 oz).
- 3 Garlic cloves (.4 oz).
- 2 Bay Leaves.
- The enough Water to cover all the ingredients.
- 1 tablespoon of Salt.
- Bring the saucepan water to a boil over high heat and leave the beef cooking in the boiling water for 10 minutes, so the beef releases its fat and it won’t be part of the soup.
- Reduce to low heat, cover the saucepan and leave the beef cooking for about 2 hours 30 minutes, until it is well cooked.
|Make sure that the ingredients are always covered with water because it will consume. If scum accumulates on the surface remove it.|
|This mixture cannot be cooked in pressure cooker because the consistency of the beef tripe becomes horrible.|
While the Beef Cooks... The Salsa
- Remove the seeds of 6 guajillo peppers.
- Put in another saucepan:
- The 6 Guajillo Peppers with the ones you worked.
- The enough Water to cover the chilies.
- Bring the saucepan water to a boil over high heat and leave the chilies cooking in the boiling water for about 5 minutes, until they soften.
- Transfer from the saucepan to a blender, with a kitchen spoon, the guajillo peppers that were cooked.
- Also incorporate in the saucepan:
- 1/4 of an Onion (1.3 oz).
- 1 Garlic clove (.1 oz).
- Pepper to taste.
- Blend very well the ingredients, then reserve.
After 2 hours 30 minutes...
- Verify that the beef tripe and the beef leg that were left cooking are well cooked and soft; if not cook them for a longer time.
- Take from the saucepan the beef leg chunks, with the kitchen spoon, wait for them to cool a little and remove the bone.
- Cut into small chunks the beef leg that was cooked and incorporate it again in the saucepan.
- Also add in the saucepan:
- Strain the Salsa that was blended.
- 7 oz of precooked White Hominy.
- The enough Water to have the consistency of a watery soup.
- Mix the saucepan ingredients.
- Cover the saucepan and leave the ingredients cooking for about 30 minutes, until the white hominy is well cooked.
While the Maize Cooks... The Garnishes
- Put in a ramekin 2 tablespoons of oregano and reserve.
- Cut 2 limes into wedges, put them in another ramekin and reserve.
- Finely chop 1/2 onion (2.4 oz) and put it in another ramekin.
- Take all the ramekins to the table, in which the ingredients were put.
- Verify that the white hominy that was left cooking is well cooked it must be soft, puffed and broken; if not cook it for a longer time.
- When the cooking is done discard:
- The 1/2 Onion.
- The 2 Bay Leaves.
- The 3 Garlic cloves.
An Exquisite Aroma!
Variation: We also have the light version of this dish, the white menudo.
Did you like the Red Menudo?
⟳ Know the Mexican Food’s History.
⟳ Also Try the Vegetarian Mexican Food.
⟳ Mexican Food with Pasta.
⟳ Mexican Fish.