When someone eats a tasty pozole and sees the white hominy kernels big, wide, white, open, crispy and full of flavor. There are sometimes in which one wonders... Where does this maize come from?
The first part of the answer is simple, from the cacahuazintle maize . That is the maize that is used to prepare pozole. The cacahuazintle, from the Nahuatl cacahuacentli = cob or pineapple cacao, cacahuatl = cacao and centli = maize on cob. Is a maize variety originally from Mexico.
The second part of the answer is a bit more complex because it consists of a whole cooking process , through which the cacahuazintle maize has to go through to be edible and you will learn all that process here. From now on the pozole that is cooked with this maize that you prepared – will have an unique flavor.
About the Recipe
- This procedure is easy but it can be a little bit tedious, when the skin has to be removed form each maize kernel.
- This recipe can only be prepared with dried cacahuazintle maize kernels.
- Upon completing the recipe the cacahuazintle maize will be precooked and ready to be cooked in a pozole.
- In this recipe slaked lime is used and if possible buy it in chemical inactive state.
- The preparation time is of about .
- Recipe for 1.1 lbs of white hominy.
DirectionsClean the Cacahuazintle Maize
- Spread over a work table 1.1 lbs of dried cacahuazintle maize kernels and discard the pebbles and gravels that you find.
- Transfer from the work table to a colander the dried cacahuazintle maize kernels that were cleaned and rinse them.
- Transfer from the colander to a saucepan the dried cacahuazintle maize kernels that were rinsed and cover them with water; then set aside.
Cook the Cacahuazintle Maize
- Fill 1/2 glass with water, pour in the glass 1 teaspoon of slaked lime (calcium hydroxide) and if bubbles pop up wait until they stop popping up.
|This process is done to verify that slaked lime is inactive. If steam or bubbles come out it means that the slaked lime was active. Wait for the chemical reaction to end, the slaked lime will pass to an inactive state and it can be used.|
- Strain over the saucepan (where the dried maize kernels are) the water with slaked lime that was prepare in the glass and mix the ingredients.
- Bring the saucepan water to a boil over high heat.
- When it boils reduce to low heat, cover the saucepan and cook the dried cacahuazintle maize kernels for about 2 hours, until they soften; stir occasionally.
2 hours later...
- Verify that the cacahuazintle maize kernels that were left cooking are soft, open and that they can be peeled by rubbing them with the fingers; if not cook them for a longer time.
|In this state the maize in known as nixtamal.|
- Transfer from the saucepan to the colander the cacahuazintle maize kernels that were cooked and rinse them with cold water.
|The liquid where the maize was cooked is known as nejayote.|
- Remove the skin (hollejo) of all the cacahuazintle maize kernels that were rinsed.
Now You Can Prepare Pozole
* If you are not going to use the white hominy right away to make a dish refrigerate it .
Did you like the Recipe?
Cook Lots of Mexican Food
≎ Green Salsa with Avocado
≎ Devil Shrimps
≎ Lima Soup
≎ Caramel Custard
≎ Horchata Water