Home >> Appetizers >>
– Devil Shrimps –
– If you are brave and tolerate the spicy food.
– This is your Recipe!
Since these shrimps are so spicy... you will feel that fire comes out of you like a devil . That is why the name “devil" was given to this recipe.
The dish is very spicy because it is prepared with the combination of 3 chilies: the guajillo pepper, the arbol pepper and the chipotle pepper. However not everything is hotness in this dish. At the moment of preparing the shrimps they are also seasoned with other ingredients that give a very good flavor to the shrimps.
This dish can be served as appetizer and it is excellent to whet the appetite due to its hotness. It can also be served as main course but don’t forget to accompany it with red rice , white rice , refried beans , mixed salad or with the garnish that you like the most. This will help to disguise the shrimps’ hotness and you will be able to tolerate them in a better way.
*The devil shrimps are typical from Guerrero’s gastronomy. A land of fusion of cuisines where the flavors and the aromas abound.
About the Recipe
- To prepare the devil shrimps there are many steps to follow. Follow them carefully so the dish will be a success.
- In this recipe you have the freedom of adjusting the dish hotness with the quantity of arbol peppers that you use.
- The chipotle pepper in adobo, that is also used in the preparation, can be bought canned or prepare it yourself.
- The total preparation time is of .
- The recipe is for 4 brave persons.
DirectionsPrepare the Devil Salsa
- Discard the seeds and the veins of 6 guajillo peppers. Upon completion put them in a saucepan.
- Also add in the saucepan:
- 3 Arbol Peppers.
- The enough Water to cover all the ingredients.
|If you don’t want such a devil salsa also discard the seeds of the arbol peppers.|
- Bring the saucepan water to a boil over high heat and leave the chilies cooking in the boiling water for about 4 minutes, until they soften.
- Transfer from the saucepan to a blender, with a kitchen spoon, the chilies that were cooked.
- Also add in the blender:
- 2 Tomatoes.
- 1 Chipotle Pepper in Adobo.
- 1/4 of an Onion (1.2 oz).
- 1 Garlic clove.
- Blend very well the ingredients, then set aside.
Work with the Shrimps
- Peel 28.2 oz of shrimps.
- Remove the head of the shrimps that were peeled and the vein that is located in the upper back.
- Sprinkle over the shrimps with the ones you worked, 1/2 tablespoon of salt and pepper to taste; then set aside.
Time to Cook All
- Finely chop 1/4 of an onion (1.2 oz), then reserve.
- Heat in a frying pan over medium heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Put in the frying pan the onion that was minced and fry it for approximately 1 minute, until it looks a bit transparent; stir regularly.
- Incorporate in the frying pan the shrimps with the ones you worked and fry them for about 3 minutes, until they are lightly cooked; stir regularly.
- Strain over the frying pan the devil salsa that was prepared.
- Mix all the frying pan ingredients and fry the devil shrimps for about 2 minutes, until they are moderately cooked and the salsa has thickened; stir regularly.
|Careful! Don’t fry the shrimps for a long time because their texture becomes rubbery and they lose flavor.|
Enjoy The Delicious Hotness
of Your Shrimps
Tip: Since you ate a very spicy dish you will need a refreshing Mexican drink.
Variations: In Mexico the shrimps can also be prepared with garlic , in a ceviche , with vinaigrette , etc.
Did you like the Devil Shrimps?
More Mexican Recipes