The menudo or also known as tummy is prepared with different variations in countries of Latin America and in Spain. It is also named in different ways like callos, guatita, mondongo, etc. Each country has its recipe and their secondary ingredients that accompany the protagonist that is the beef tripe .
The white menudo is also prepared with beef leg and white hominy; which are cooked in a white broth with soft and fresh flavor. Besides on the table various ingredients are placed so each person seasons the menudo to taste.
This soup is an excellent firs course but don’t eat a lot because it is possible that you won’t be able to eat the main course. Moreover is said that it is a very good remedy against the hangover – a typical dish to enjoy after a party or a family event.
About the Recipe
- Making the menudo is easy, only many ingredients have to be cooked and be very patient.
- The recipe is given with precooked white hominy however if you get it raw you will have to follow the next steps.
- Don’t complicate your life buy beef leg cut into large chunks.
- This recipe is going to be easier, if clean beef tripe is bought.
- The total preparation time is long of approximately but you will only work in the recipe like 20 minutes.
- The recipe serves 4 plates.
DirectionsCook the Beef
- Clean 1.1 lbs of beef tripe and 1.1 lbs of beef leg; upon completion rinse them and reserve.
- Cut into large chunks the 1.1 lbs of beef leg that was rinsed; upon completion put them in a saucepan and reserve.
- Cut into small chunks the 1.1 lbs of beef tripe that was rinsed; upon completion put them in the saucepan.
- Also incorporate in the saucepan:
- 1/2 Onion (2.6 oz).
- 3 Garlic cloves.
- 2 Bay Leaves.
- The enough Water to cover all the ingredients.
- 1 tablespoon of Salt.
- Bring the saucepan water to a boil over high heat and leave the beef cooking in the boiling water for 10 minutes, so the beef releases its fat and it doesn’t become part of the soup.
- Reduce to low heat, cover the saucepan and leave the beef cooking for about 2 hours 30 minutes, until it is well cooked.
|Make sure that the ingredients are always covered with water because it will consume. If scum accumulates on the surface remove it.|
|This mixture cannot be cooked in pressure cooker because the consistency of the beef tripe becomes horrible.|
After 2 hours 30 minutes...
- Verify that the beef tripe and the beef leg that were left cooking are well cooked and soft; if not cook them for a longer time.
- Take from the saucepan the beef leg chunks, with a kitchen spoon, wait until they cool a little and remove the bone.
- Cut into small chunks the beef leg that was cooked and incorporate it again in the saucepan.
- Also add in the saucepan:
- 7 oz of precooked White Hominy.
- The enough Water to have the consistency of a watery soup.
- Mix the saucepan ingredients.
- Cover the saucepan and leave the ingredients cooking for about 30 minutes, until the white hominy is well cooked.
While the Maize Cooks... The Garnishes
- Put in a ramekin 2 tablespoons of crushed red pepper and reserve.
- Cut 2 limes into wedges, put them in another ramekin and reserve.
- Finely chop 1/2 onion (2.6 oz) and 4 coriander sprigs; put them in independent ramekins.
- Take all the ramekins to the table, in which the ingredients were put.
30 minutes later...
- Verify that the white hominy that was left cooking is well cooked it must be soft, puffed and broken; if not cook it for a longer time.
- Add in the saucepan:
- 1 teaspoon of Oregano.
- Pepper to taste.
- Mix the white menudo.
- Discard from the saucepan:
- The 1/2 Onion.
- The 2 Bay Leaves.
- The 3 Garlic cloves.
Tip: Accompany the white menudo with flour tortillas or with bread.
Suggestion: This recipe can be prepared 1 day before, then refrigerate it and when it is served it will be perfect.
Variation: The menudo can also be cooked with a tasty red salsa , creating the red menudo.
Did you like the White Menudo?
Try Other Mexican Soups
⌾ Tortilla Soup
⌾ Tlalpeno Soup
⌾ Seafood Soup
⌾ Cream of Corn Soup
⌾ Lima Soup