As it can be expected, the protagonist of this dish is the corn, that forms part of the daily diet of the Mexicans. In Mexico it doesn’t matter where you eat or what you eat – one always knows that sooner or later, directly or indirectly, one way or another you will be eating corn.
This soup is different because it has a dairy touch without becoming a cream. And the beauty can be found in each bite while feeling the milk’s creaminess with the crunch of the corn . You will also find the corn’s sweetness combined with the fresh point of the coriander, that is also used in the soup. It is a perfect seasoning that you cannot miss.
– The corn soup is ideal for the kids because they love its creaminess and the sweet flavor, that is always present.
About the Recipe
- To make this soup you won’t have any problem, everything is quite easy to make.
- We recommend making the recipe with frozen corn kernels because they have more flavor than the canned ones, although canned could also be used.
- In this recipe also whole corn can be used, 5 corns will be needed (3.5 lbs) and the shelling process is a bit complicated.
- The corn soup is prepared with milk and any type of milk can be used.
- Total preparation time .
- The recipe is for 5 persons.
DirectionsFry some Ingredients
- Finely chop 1/4 of an onion and 7 coriander sprigs; then reserve.
- Melt in a saucepan over low heat 1/2 butter bar.
|Be careful with the butter don’t burn it because its flavor becomes bad and it will no longer serve.|
- Add in the saucepan the onion that was minced and fry it for approximately 1 minute, until it looks a bit transparent; stir regularly.
- Incorporate in the saucepan 21.1 oz of white corn kernels and mix the ingredients.
- Fry the saucepan ingredients for about 3 minutes, until the white corn kernels are lightly fried; stir regularly.
Cook the Soup
- Add in the saucepan, along with the other ingredients:
- 1/2 teaspoon of Nutmeg.
- 3 cups of Milk.
- Pepper to taste.
- 1/2 tablespoon of Salt.
- Mix the saucepan ingredients.
- Bring the corn soup to a boil over medium heat.
- When the corn soup boils reduce to low heat, cover the saucepan and cook it for about 15 minutes, until the corn kernels are well cooked and soft; stir occasionally.
- Add in the corn soup the coriander that was minced and mix the ingredients.
An Extraordinary Flavor!
Tip: If you want this soup to be spicy some minced serrano pepper can be added.
Suggestion: This soup can be accompanied with crackers or with a good bread.
Did you like the Corn Soup?
More Mexican Recipes
➽ Green Salsa with Avocado
➽ Potatoes with Peppers
➽ Beef Picadillo