Home >> Salsas and Dips >>
Tomato and Tomatillo
In this salsa 2 basic and essential ingredients of the Mexican cuisine are combined: the tomato and the tomatillo. Now, if these ingredients are combined with dried chilies, onion and garlic – we are going to have a salsa with guaranteed success.
What is very appealing of this salsa is that it combines many flavors that are very Mexican like the acidic, fresh, sweet and toasted flavor. Moreover it is a very versatile salsa because it can be used while enjoying a snack or it can be used in appetizers or just put it on the table and when you notice it will already be finished.
About the Recipe
- In this salsa there are many steps but all are easy.
- The salsa is spicy and if you want to reduce its hotness, just use 2 cascabel peppers.
- When the tomatillos are bought pick the ones that are greener and hard, this indicates that they are ripe.
- The preparation time is of .
- With this recipe you will get 2 cups of salsa.
DirectionsRoast the Chilies
- Discard the seeds and the veins of 2 ancho peppers and of 3 cascabel peppers.
|If you leave the seeds and the veins of the chilies, your salsa is going to be fire.|
- Put on a griddle over medium heat:
- The 2 Ancho Peppers with the ones you worked.
- The 3 Cascabel Peppers with the ones you worked.
- Roast the griddle ingredients for about 2 minutes, until all their sides are moderately roasted; move them regularly with some tongs.
- Transfer from the griddle to a bowl, with the tongs, the chilies that were roasted.
- Cover the chilies that were put in the bowl with boiling water.
- Leave the chilies that were put in the bowl soaking for about 5 minutes, until they soften.
While the Chilies Soften
- Put on the griddle over medium heat:
- 2 Tomatoes.
- 6 Tomatillos.
- 1/4 of an Onion.
- 2 Garlic cloves with skin.
- Roast the onion and the garlics for about 2 minutes, the tomatillos for about 3 minutes and the tomatoes for about 5 minutes, until all their sides are moderately roasted; move them regularly with the tongs.
- Transfer from the griddle to a blender, with the tongs, the onion, the tomatillos and the tomatoes that were roasted; then reserve.
- Remove from the griddle the garlic cloves and wait for them to cool a little.
- Peel the garlic cloves that were roasted, put them in the blender and reserve.
- Verify that the chilies that were left soaking are soft, if not leave them soaking for a longer time.
- Transfer from the bowl to the blender, with the tongs, the chilies that were soaked.
- Also add in the blender:
- 1 teaspoon of Sugar.
- 1/2 tablespoon of Salt.
- Blend very well the ingredients.
Variation: Another of the few recipes where the tomato and tomatillo combination is found, is in the mother-in-law salsa.
Did you like the Salsa?
☛ Requeson Quesadilla
☛ Mexican Rice
☛ Pot Beans
☛ Fried Plantains
☛ Melted Cheese with Mushrooms