Home >> Appetizers >>
“a perfect entree"
This is a typical dish of the Mexican cuisine as it is prepared all around Mexico. The dish is simple as it only consists of the red rice fresh flavor accompanied of carrot’s sweet flavor and peas’ peculiar flavor.
– All these ingredients together make the dish look full of color , flavor and aroma .
The Mexican rice is very versatile as it is excellent to be served as entree plate or to accompany a wide variety of Mexican dishes such as: grilled steak , shrimp brochettes with achiote , quesadillas , enchiladas , pork in adobo , etc. Without a doubt this rice is the perfect garnish for almost any Mexican dish.
*It is believed that the rice comes from the Ancient Civilizations that inhabited Mexico but this is incorrect. The rice was brought by the Spaniards and it was quickly incorporated and adapted to the Mexican cuisine.
About the Recipe
- Making this rice is not difficult, just some tricks have to be known that we’ll be teaching you.
- Don´t forget the “golden rule" to cook the rice. The liquid has to double the rice.
- To obtain the best results use a saucepan with thick bottom and not too tall.
- The peas, that are used in this dish, can be bought canned or frozen.
- The total preparation time is of , however while the rice cooks (20 min.) you won’t work in the recipe.
- This recipe serves 6 portions.
DirectionsPrepare the Red Salsa
- Put in a blender:
- 3 Tomatoes.
- 1/4 of an Onion.
- 1 Garlic clove.
- Blend very well the ingredients.
- Pour in a measuring cup the mixture that was blended and verify that you have 4 cups of salsa (1 qt); then reserve.
|If you would have more than 4 cups remove the remaining salsa and if you would have less than 4 cups of salsa add water up to the 4 cups mark.|
Perform Many Activities
- Peel 2 carrots.
- Dice the 2 carrots that were peeled and reserve.
- Rinse in a strainer 2 cups of white rice, then set aside.
|It is important to rinse well the rice before cooking it because this eliminates the starch that it has on its surface. Moreover the rice grain ends up looser so it doesn’t stick when cooking.|
- Heat in a saucepan over low heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Put in the saucepan the 2 cups of white rice that was rinsed and fry it for about 3 minutes, until it acquires a golden color; stir constantly.
|The rice has to brown so it acquires well the red color.|
- Add in the saucepan:
- The 4 cups of Red Salsa that were measured.
- The dices of the Carrots that were cut.
- 1 cup of Peas.
- 1 tablespoon of Salt.
Time to Cook the Rice
- Mix the saucepan ingredients and bring the salsa to a boil over high heat.
- When the salsa boils reduce to low heat, cover the saucepan and leave the rice cooking for about 15 minutes, until the liquid has totally consumed.
|Throughout this process don’t stir nor touch the rice because it will become a mess.|
|To verify that the rice is cooked stick the turner all the way into the bottom of the saucepan and drag the rice. If there is no more water in the bottom the rice is ready... if there is still water the rice needs more cooking.|
- When the cooking is done turn off the heat and leave the Mexican rice resting for about 4 minutes, until the rice grains absorb the moisture and are loose.
Your Mexican Rice is
Tip: Put lime to this rice, it tastes delicious.
Suggestion: Accompany the Mexican rice with fried plantains , you have no idea of how tasty is this combination.
Variations: Try other Mexican ways of making the rice: white rice , Puebla style rice , peasant rice , etc.
Did you like the Mexican Rice?
The Mexican Melted Cheese