Home >> Salsas and Dips >>
Pico de Gallo
This is a very different pico de gallo
, in fact it can be seen as a pico de gallo full of surprises because it is prepared with cucumber, jicama, cantaloupe and more ingredients
. Another curious fact that this salsa has is that tomato is not used like in almost any pico de gallo.
– In Jalisco there are many stalls
where the salad in a glass
is sold and as you can see many ingredients that are part of the salad
in a glass are used in this pico de gallo. Possibly due to this similarity this pico de gallo is considered as a pico de gallo from Jalisco.
And all the surprises that this recipe offers are not over yet because several of its ingredients are cut into strips, therefore the final result has a lot of similarity with a salad. When the moment comes of using it, it can be put as garnish of a main dish that has fish
And if you want it can also be enjoyed with a snack or an appetizer.
About the Recipe
- In this recipe you are going to cut many ingredients therefore it is a bit laborious but is not difficult to make.
- This pico de gallo is prepared with cantaloupe and don’t use the honeydew because its flavor is not the adequate for the salsa.
- We are going to achieve the spicy touch with serrano peppers however if you want more hotness you can also add a little bit of chili powder to the whole preparation.
- This recipe will be ready in 10 minutes.
- Yields 2 cups.
2 Serrano Peppers (.8 oz)
1 Lime (1 oz)
1 Cucumber (11.2 oz)
1/2 Jicama (7 oz)
1/4 of a Cantaloupe (8.8 oz)
1/2 tablespoon of Salt
1 Cutting Board
1 Mixing Spatula
1 Lime Squeezer (optional)
Cut Many Ingredients
- Remove the skin and the seeds of 1/4 of a cantaloupe.
- Dice the pulp of the 1/4 cantaloupe with the one you worked, put it in a bowl and reserve.
- Remove the veins and the seeds of 2 serrano peppers, then reserve.
||If you want a very spicy pico de gallo don’t remove neither the seeds nor the veins of the chilies.
- Peel 1/2 jicama and 1 cucumber, then reserve.
- Cut lengthwise the cucumber that was peeled and remove the seeds.
- Cut into small strips the chilies with the ones you worked, the jicama that was peeled and the cucumber with the one you worked; upon completion put them in the bowl.
Mix the Pico de Gallo
- Also add in the bowl, along with the other ingredients:
- The juice of 1 Lime.
- 1/2 tablespoon of Salt.
- Mix very well the Jalisco style pico de gallo with a mixing spatula.
With Tapatian Style
The pico de gallo
also has Yucatecan style.
Did you like the Pico de Gallo?
Mexican Dishes with Chicken or Fish
♉ Chicken in Green Pipian
♉ Chicken Adobo
♉ Veracruz Style Fish
♉ Fried Chicken Tacos