Home >> Salsas and Dips >>
Mexican Pepperleaf and
This is a super original recipe because is not usual to see neither the Mexican pepperleaf nor the mango in the same preparation but it is a very good idea to join them because on one side we will have the aniseed flavor of the Mexican pepperleaf mixed with the sweetness and the freshness of the mango . Believe us it is a very good combination.
– The Mexican pepperleaf has been used since Prehispanic times, it has an exquisite aroma and it normally is used in typical Mexican dishes like tamales, moles , soups , etc.
In order to make the Mexican pepperleaf and mango salsa also chilies, onion and garlic are used that help to elaborate the flavor of the whole salsa. And we also have to mention that in this recipe you will have the opportunity of tasting spicy and strong notes. We recommend using the salsa in dishes that have pork or chicken.
About the Recipe
- It is easy to prepare this salsa although you have to work a bit.
- The Mexican pepperleaf can be used in any version: dried or fresh.
- In 15 minutes the salsa will be ready.
- We give the recipe for 2 cups.
DirectionsCook some Ingredients
- Peel 1 mango.
- Cut into large chunks the mango that was peeled and 1 Mexican pepperleaf.
- Put in a saucepan:
- The large Mango chunks that were cut.
- The large Mexican Pepperleaf chunks that were cut.
- 4 tablespoons of Water.
- Mix the saucepan ingredients and bring the water to a boil over medium heat.
- Cook the mixture for about 3 minutes, until the mango softens; stir occasionally.
- Transfer from the saucepan to a blender the mixture that was cooked.
- Also add in the blender:
- 2 Serrano Peppers.
- 1 Garlic clove.
|If you want to reduce the hotness of the salsa remove the veins and the seeds of the chilies.|
- Blend very well the ingredients and reserve.
Cook the Salsa
- Finely chop 1/2 onion and then reserve.
- Heat in the saucepan over medium heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Incorporate in the saucepan the onion that was minced and fry it for approximately 1 minute, until it looks a bit transparent; stir regularly.
- Add in the saucepan:
- The Mixture that was blended.
- 1/4 tablespoon of Salt.
- Mix the saucepan ingredients and wait for the Mexican pepperleaf and mango salsa to boil.
- Cook the Mexican pepperleaf and mango salsa for about 5 minutes, until it thickens a little; stir occasionally.
for your Palate
Variation: The Mexican pepperleaf salsa can also be prepared without mango.
Did you like the Salsa?
Mexican Dishes with Chicken or Pork
♞ Chicken Adobo
♞ Pork Picadillo
♞ Pork in Green Pipian
♞ Green Enchiladas with Chicken
♞ Pork Ribs in Green Salsa