Home >> Salsas and Dips >>
– All the Flavor –
The usage of nuts
like the almonds, peanuts, hazelnuts or walnuts are very present in the Mexican cuisine.
They are essential components of many moles
and they are also used to make other types of salsas.
In this recipe we are going to focus in the walnut, which we are going to combine with chilies and prunes to generate a flavor of another level
. The salsa is also prepared with other ingredients that help to elaborate the flavor of the whole preparation. When the salsa is ready it has to be used to give the best flavor to a pork
loin or to a grilled chicken.
About the Recipe
- In this recipe there are many steps to follow and it is a bit laborious.
- The salsa is prepared with chipotle pepper and it has to be used in its in adobo version.
- To give very good flavor to the salsa chicken stock is used and if it is prepared at home, the flavor will be much better.
- You will need 20 minutes in the preparation.
- The recipe yields 2 cups.
1 cup of Walnuts (3.5 oz)
5 Prunes (1.7 oz)
2 Tomatoes (14.1 oz)
1 Ancho Pepper (.3 oz)
1 Chipotle Pepper in Adobo (.5 oz)
1/2 Onion (2.6 oz)
1 Garlic clove (.1 oz)
3 cups of Chicken Stock (25.3 fl oz)
1 tablespoon of Olive Oil
1/4 tablespoon of Salt
1 Frying Pan
1 Cutting Board
Cut and Roast
- Remove the pit of 5 prunes and then reserve.
- Remove the veins and the seeds of 1 ancho pepper.
- Cut into chunks the ancho pepper with the one you worked and reserve.
- Put on a griddle over medium heat:
- 2 Tomatoes.
- 1/2 Onion.
- 1 Garlic clove.
Fry and Blend
- Roast the onion and the garlic clove for about 2 minutes and the tomatoes for about 5 minutes, until all their sides are moderately roasted; move them regularly with some tongs.
- Transfer from the griddle to a blender, with the tongs, the ingredients that were roasted; then set aside.
- Heat in a frying pan over low heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Add in the frying pan 1 cup of walnuts and fry them for about 45 seconds, until they are lightly fried; stir regularly.
- Incorporate in the frying pan:
- The 5 Prunes with the ones you worked.
- The chunks of the Ancho Pepper that was cut.
- Mix the frying pan ingredients and fry them for about 30 seconds, until the chili is lightly fried; stir regularly.
||Don’t fry the chili for a long time because its flavor becomes bitter.
- Transfer from the frying pan to the blender the ingredients that were fried, also add:
Cook the Salsa
- Blend very well the ingredients.
- Put in a saucepan:
- Strain the Mixture that was blended.
- 1/4 tablespoon of Salt.
- Mix the saucepan ingredients and bring the walnut salsa to a boil over medium heat.
- When the walnut salsa boils reduce to low heat and cook it for about 5 minutes, until it thickens a little and acquires a more intense color; stir occasionally.
An Exquisite Salsa!
Now use the walnut
to make a guacamole.
Did you like the Walnut Salsa?
Mexican Recipes with Chicken or Pork
❉ Chicken Burrito
❉ Pork Picadillo
❉ Chicken in Green Pipian
❉ Tacos al Pastor