Home >> Salsas and Dips >>
You possibly don’t know what this preparation is all about however if you study carefully the name of the recipe you will find the key... xoco = xoconostle, chile = guajillo pepper. That is what the xocochile is the combination of xoconostle with chili, although other ingredients are also used that help to complement the salsa.
This recipe comes to us from the state of Guanajuato, where the most varied repertoire of the culinary uses of the xoconostle has been developed. This fruit is from the family of the cactaceae, it is similar to the prickly pear but its flavor is acidic and complex.
When the xoconostle is combined with the guajillo pepper an extraordinary flavor is obtained . The salsa is slightly spicy, fresh, it has strong flavors and the acidic flavor of the xoconostle can always be perceived. The xocochile can be used to accompany some dish that has pork or beef.
About the Recipe
- This recipe is a bit complicated, pay attention so it will be a success.
- To make the salsa guajillo peppers are used and don’t buy the ones that have transparent parts because this indicates that they are in disrepair.
- It will take you 20 minutes to make the salsa.
- The recipe yields 6 portions.
DirectionsRoast some Ingredients
- Remove the veins and the seeds of 10 guajillo peppers.
- Put on a griddle over medium heat:
- The 10 Guajillo Peppers with the ones you worked.
- 5 Xoconostles.
- Roast the chilies for about 4 minutes and the xoconostles for about 6 minutes, until all their sides are well roasted; move them regularly with some tongs.
|Don’t roast the chilies for a long time because they will burn and their flavor will become bitter.|
- Transfer from the griddle to a saucepan the chilies that were roasted, then reserve.
- Remove from the griddle the xoconostles, wait for them to cool a little and peel them.
- Discard the seeds of the xoconostles that were peeled and then put the pulp in a blender; then set aside.
Cook and Blend
- Cover with water the chilies that were put in the saucepan and bring it to a boil over high heat.
- Leave the chilies cooking in the boiling water for about 6 minutes, until they are soft.
- Transfer from the saucepan to the blender, with the tongs, the chilies that were cooked.
- Also add in the blender:
- 1 Garlic clove.
- 1 cup of Water (8.4 fl oz).
- Blend very well the ingredients and reserve.
Cut and Mix
- Finely chop 1/2 onion and 2 coriander sprigs. Upon completion put them in a bowl.
- Pour in the bowl the mixture that was blended.
- Mix very well the xocochile salsa with a mixing spatula.
Acidic and Spicy
* Preferably leave the salsa resting for about 15 minutes so the flavors settle.
Did you like the Xocochile?
Mexican Dishes with Pork or Beef
☑ Steak with Onions
☑ Pork Picadillo
☑ Pork in Adobo