Home >> Salsas and Dips >>
The Yucatecan cuisine is replete of savory dishes, among these dishes are the papadzules, the dzotobichayes, the salbutes, etc. – which are normally served with the Yucatecan tomato salsa. Although the chiltomate can also be used in this dishes or any other types of Yucatecan salsas.
– If you think that the Yucatecan tomato salsa can only be used in Yucatecan dishes you are partially right. The good news is that it has more functionalities , in case of not having Yucatecan food on your table it can also be used in typical Mexican appetizers.
The flavor of this salsa is fresh, soft, lightly spicy and it has slight sweet notes. However what is very daring of the salsa is that it is served with 1 whole habanero pepper . Therefore if you want to enjoy the salsa don’t take the habanero pepper and if you want to feel fire serve yourself the salsa with the habanero pepper or part of it.
About the Recipe
- In this recipe you will work a little and everything is easy to make, an ideal recipe.
- When the tomatoes are bought pick the ones that have a bright color because those are the ones that have better flavor.
- We recommend using olive oil in the preparation so the salsa has a better flavor.
- In about 15 minutes the salsa will be ready.
- The recipe yields 1½ cups.
DirectionsPerform Many Activities
- Put on a griddle over medium heat 3 tomatoes and roast them for about 5 minutes, until all their sides are moderately roasted; move them regularly with some tongs.
|The tomatoes are roasted so the salsa has more flavor.|
- Transfer from the griddle to a blender, with the tongs, the tomatoes that were roasted.
- Blend lightly the tomatoes and reserve.
Cook the Salsa
- Cut 1/4 of an onion into half moons and reserve.
- Heat in a saucepan over medium heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Add in the saucepan the half moons of the onion that was cut and fry them for approximately 1 minute, until they look a bit transparent; stir regularly.
- Incorporate in the saucepan:
- The Tomatoes that were blended.
- 1 Habanero Pepper.
- 1/2 tablespoon of Salt.
- Mix the saucepan ingredients and cook the Yucatecan tomato salsa for about 6 minutes, until it thickens a little and acquires an intense red color; stir occasionally.
What a Way of Serving
Variation: Would you like to try the Yucatecan style pico de gallo ?
Did you like the Tomato Salsa?
♗ Potato Quesadilla
♗ Garlic Shrimps
♗ Peasant Rice
♗ Crab Tostada
♗ Melted Cheese with Mushrooms