Fried Beef Tacos
There are few foods in the Mexican cuisine so versatile and that can be used in so many different combinations as the tortilla. In this occasion, and it is not a joke, we are going to prepare some delicious “flutes" – this is how they are known for its external similarity with the musical instrument.
– The flutes are crispy tortillas that are rolled as taco and they can be filled with many ingredients like chicken , potato , chorizo with potato , etc.
Within all this “world of flutes" the ones that have a stronger and more elaborated flavor, are these ones the beef flutes. Although many fresh ingredients are also put over them that help to balance and to soften the flavors.
In Mexico the flautas are served as main course and normally any garnishes is put because the flautas are so abundant that there is no room on the plate for anything else.
About the Recipe
- To make the flutes there are many steps to follow and some experience in the kitchen is required.
- It is important to choose an easy to shred beef cut once it is cooked. The most adequate cut is the skirt steak.
- Don’t use olive oil in this recipe because it is not good to fry tortillas.
- Prepare the flutes with your corn tortillas.
- The total preparation time is of , however while the beef cooks you won’t work in the recipe.
- Recipe for 10 flutes.
DirectionsCook the Skirt Steak
- Put in a saucepan:
- 1.1 lbs of Skirt Steak.
- 1/2 Onion (2.6 oz).
- 2 Garlic cloves.
- 3 Bay Leaves.
- The enough Water to cover all the ingredients.
- 1 tablespoon of Salt.
- Bring the saucepan water to a boil over high heat.
- When it boils reduce to medium heat, cover the saucepan and leave the beef cooking for approximately 1 hour, until it is well cooked.
|Make sure that the beef is always covered with water as it is going to consume. If scum accumulates on the surface remove it.|
|If you use pressure cooker to cook the skirt steak, it will only take about 30 minutes to cook it.|
When the Beef is about to be Ready
- Slice 1 tomato into half moons, then reserve.
- Cut 1/4 of a lettuce into strips, then set aside.
- Finely chop 1/2 onion (2.6 oz), then set aside.
- Verify that the skirt steak that was left cooking is well cooked and soft; if not cook it for a longer time.
- Take from the saucepan the beef with a kitchen spoon, wait until it cools a little and shred it; then set aside.
|Don’t throw away the broth that was obtained from cooking the beef because it is very tasty and you can use it to prepare a soup.|
Work with the Tortillas
- Heat on a griddle over medium heat 10 maize tortillas for about 30 seconds per each side, until they are soft.
- Remove from the griddle the tortillas and put on each one some of the skirt steak that was shredded.
- Roll all the tortillas as tacos and close them with some toothpicks; then set aside.
Make the Fried Tacos
- Pour in a frying pan approximately 1 cup of vegetable oil, so you end up having about a 1/2’’ deep oil layer.
- Heat the frying pan oil over high heat.
- Put in the frying pan the skirt steak tacos that were prepared (just the ones that fit in) and fry them for about 2 minutes starting from the end where the tortilla was closed, until they are moderately fried; turn them regularly with some tongs.
|The tacos start to be fried from the side where the tortilla was closed to seal them and in this way the filling doesn’t spill.|
- Transfer from the frying pan to some paper towels, with the tongs, the fried beef tacos so they dry and the fat excess is absorbed.
- Remove from the fried beef tacos the toothpicks, then reserve.
- Repeat the same procedure with the skirt steak tacos that were not fried, it won’t be necessary to add more vegetable oil in the frying pan.
Garnish the Fried Tacos
- Cut 1 avocado into strips, then set aside.
|The avocado is cut at the end so it doesn’t oxidize nor it turns black.|
- Transfer from the paper towels to a large plate the fried beef tacos that were prepared.
- Put over the fried beef tacos the following ingredients:
- 1/2 cup of Mexican Cream.
- The Onion that was minced.
- The Lettuce strips that were cut.
- The Tomato half moons that were cut.
- The Avocado strips that were cut.
- Sprinkle 1/4 cup of crumbled Fresh Cheese.
|Preferably put the ingredients in the same order as given so the tacos come out beautiful.|
* Eat quick the flutes because they can soften.
Recommendation: Put a delicious red salsa to your flutes so they will have more flavor.
Did you like the Beef Flautas?
Other Mexican Dishes
➠ Chicken in Adobo
➠ Spicy Cecina
➠ Pork Ribs in Green Sauce
➠ Steak with Onions