Home >> Salsas and Dips >>
Campeche Style Salsa
The state of Campeche, located in the southeast of the Republic, has been influenced by a singular mixture of cultures and traditions. This mixture of cultures has been in charge of impacting the state’s gastronomy, making it tasty and diverse.
It is a state where numerous salsas are prepared, like the famous Campeche style salsa. It is a simple recipe where few ingredients are used but it is full of flavor . The salsa is moderately spicy because many pasilla peppers are used in the preparation and it has very special notes that come from the tomato, the garlic, the onion and more ingredients...
Although the salsa was developed in Campeche, it contains ingredients that you can easily get at any Mexican market. The only ingredient that is used in the salsa, that is typical of the area, is the bitter orange that gives another concept to the whole preparation.
– When the salsa gets to the table, it has to be used in fried fish ... it really gives another dimension to the dish. It can also be used in some breaded shrimps or even to accompany some appetizers.
About the Recipe
- To make the salsa you are only going to roast and blend; it definitely is easy to make.
- The recipe is prepared with 1 bitter orange but if you don’t get it don’t worry because it can be substituted for 1/3 of a cup of white vinegar + 1/3 of a cup of lime juice.
- If you want to prepare the salsa in a molcajete, simply don’t use the blender.
- In 10 minutes the salsa will be ready.
- With this recipe you will obtain 2 cups.
- Remove the veins and the seeds of 8 pasilla peppers.
|It is very important to remove the veins and the seeds of the chilies so the salsa has a better texture.|
- Put on a griddle over medium heat:
- The Pasilla Peppers with the ones you worked.
- 4 Tomatoes.
- 1/2 Onion.
- 1 Garlic clove.
- Roast the garlic for approximately 1½ minutes, the chilies and the onion for about 2 minutes and the tomatoes for about 5 minutes, until all their sides are moderately roasted; move them regularly with some tongs.
- Transfer from the griddle to a blender, with the tongs, all the ingredients that were roasted.
- Also add in the blender:
- The juice of 1 Bitter Orange.
- 1 Bay Leaf.
- 1/2 tablespoon of Salt.
- Blend very well the ingredients.
Flavors from Campeche
Variation: There is another very famous salsa that is prepared in Campeche, which is known as Campeche style chili salsa.
Did you like the Campeche Style Salsa?
Mexican Recipes from the Sea
☄ Tuna Chipotle Dip
☄ Devil Shrimps
☄ Octopus Ceviche
☄ Shellfish Soup
☄ Achiote Shrimp Brochettes