Home >> Salsas and Dips >>
The charal is a small fish that lives in certain lakes of Mexico, in the region of Jalisco and Michoacan. There are many ways of preparing them but in the most traditional way first they are dried with salt and then they are fried.
The charales have a strong and intense flavor due to this reason in the salsa they are mixed with other ingredients, that help to diversify and balance the flavor. It is a nutritious and slightly spicy salsa
in which you will also find sweet and toasted notes.
The charales salsa is very complete
and there is no better way of trying it than in any Mexican food that has tortilla
About the Recipe
- The preparation of the salsa is a bit laborious but it is not complicated.
- To make the salsa the charales are used in their dried version, don’t buy them in another way because the salsa won’t have the adequate flavor.
- You will need 20 minutes in the preparation.
- The recipe is for 2 cups.
1/2 cup Dried Charales (3.5 oz)
5 Pasilla Peppers (1.7 oz)
1/2 Onion (2.6 oz)
1 Garlic clove with skin (.1 oz)
1/4 tablespoon of Salt
1 Measuring Cup
1 Cutting Board
Roast some Ingredients
- Remove the veins and the seeds of 5 pasilla peppers.
- Put on a griddle over medium heat:
- The Pasilla Peppers with the ones you worked.
- 1 Garlic clove with skin.
- Roast the ingredients that were put on the griddle for approximately 1½ minutes, until all their sides are lightly roasted; move them regularly with some tongs.
||Don’t roast the chilies for a long time because its flavor becomes bitter.
- Transfer from the griddle to a bowl the chilies that were roasted, then reserve.
- Remove from the griddle the garlic clove and wait for it to cool a little.
- Peel the garlic clove that was roasted, then put it in a blender and reserve.
Perform some Activities
- Cover the chilies that were put in the bowl with boiling water and leave them soaking for about 10 minutes, until they are soft.
- Transfer from the bowl to the blender, with the tongs, the chilies that were soaked.
- Also add in the blender:
- 1/2 Onion.
- 1 cup of Water (8.4 fl oz).
- 1/4 tablespoon of Salt.
- Blend very well the ingredients.
- Add in the blender 1/2 cup of dried charales.
- Blend lightly the ingredients, so small chunks of dried charales remain.
Preferably leave the salsa resting
for about 30 minutes so the flavors settle.
Did you like the Charales Salsa?
More Mexican Salsas
✣ Puebla Style Pipian
✣ Drunk Salsa
✣ Ancho Pepper Adobo