Home >> Salsas and Dips >>
One of the foundations of the Mexican cuisine
are its salsas. Thanks to them, any preparation, as simple as it is gains a lot of flavor and seasoning.
Regarding the drunk salsa various versions of it are known. Each one varies both in its ingredients as in the liquid that is used to drunken it. In this case we have the most original version of the drunk salsa
that has coastal influence because it is prepared with fresh chilies and it is drunken with beer.
– This salsa is a proof of the high creativity
that is got in the Mexican gastronomy because the beer is an ingredient that no one would expect seeing in a salsa.
The flavor of the drunk salsa is fantastic because the beer’s flavor tends to remain but is also combined with fresh and strong touches coming from other ingredients
. It is a quite spicy salsa and is perfect for accompanying some tacos al carbon
or any dish that includes a beef
About the Recipe
- In this recipe first many ingredients are roasted and you must be aware of them. Then all the steps are easy.
- The ingredient that stands out the most is the beer. Use a lager because the dark beers distort the salsa’s flavor.
- To make the salsa many serrano peppers are used. Use them all, don’t worry if you want your salsa not to be that spicy – a long the preparation you will learn techniques to achieve it.
- As long as you have 15 minutes of time, it will be enough to prepare the salsa.
- The recipe is for 2 cups.
1⅓ cups of Lager (11.1 fl oz)
8 Serrano Peppers (3.7 oz)
2 Tomatoes (14.1 oz)
1 Onion (5.2 oz)
2 Garlic cloves (.2 oz)
3 Coriander sprigs (1 oz)
1 tablespoon of Olive Oil
1/2 tablespoon of Salt
1 Cutting Board
Work with the Ingredients
- Put on a griddle over medium heat:
- 8 Serrano Peppers.
- 2 Tomatoes.
- 1 Onion.
- 2 Garlic cloves.
||If you want you can remove the seeds and the veins of some serrano peppers so your salsa is not that spicy.
- Roast the garlic cloves for about 2 minutes, the serrano peppers for about 4 minutes and the tomatoes and the onion for about 5 minutes, until all their sides are moderately roasted; move them regularly with some tongs.
- Transfer from the griddle to a blender, with the tongs, all the ingredients that were roasted.
- Blend very well the ingredients and then reserve.
- Finely chop 3 coriander sprigs, then set aside.
Cook the Salsa
- Heat in a saucepan over medium heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Add in the saucepan:
- The Mixture that was blended.
- 1⅓ cups of Lager.
- 1/2 tablespoon of Salt.
- Mix the saucepan ingredients and bring the drunk salsa to a boil over high heat.
- When the drunk salsa boils reduce to medium heat and cook it for about 5 minutes, until it thickens a little and it acquires a more intense color; stir occasionally.
||Don´t worry you are not going to get drunk with this salsa because with this cooking process all the alcohol is consumed.
- Add in the saucepan the coriander that was minced and mix the ingredients.
This salsa will last
you about 3 days in the fridge.
If you want to use again many serrano peppers in a salsa, prepare the chili macho salsa.
Did you like the Drunk Salsa?
✸ Peasant Rice
✸ Crab Tostada
✸ Potatoes with Peppers
✸ Chorizo Quesadilla
✸ Charro Beans