Home >> Salsas and Dips >>
The word mole is of Nahuatl origin, it comes from the term “molli” or “mulli” and in its original meaning it refers to the term of grinding chilies by adding some liquid, thus resulting in a salsa.
With a tradition of centuries behind, throughout this time almost every region of Mexico has developed their own versions of the traditional mole by adapting it to the local products.
In this green mole recipe, its place of origin marks its ingredients. In the eastern part of Michoacan the vegetables abound throughout the year because it has very good weather. If we add to these vegetables some tomatillos, some herbs
, some green chilies and some seeds – we obtain a delicious mole of complex flavor and rough texture
Usually the green mole from Michoacan is served bathing chicken
And to complement the plate white rice
and some corn tortillas
can be added.
About the Recipe
- This recipe is complex and elaborated. Follow the steps carefully so your mole is a success.
- To make the mole lettuce is used and any type of lettuce can be used.
- The mole is prepared with pumpkin seeds and they must not have shell.
- In the preparation a lot of lard is used but if you want it can be substituted for olive oil.
- Since it is a difficult recipe it takes time to prepare it and it will take 40 minutes.
- The recipe yields 8 portions.
8 Lettuce Leaves (1.4 oz)
5 Chard Leaves (.5 oz)
4 Tomatillos (7.1 oz)
2 Poblano Peppers (8.8 oz)
2 Serrano Peppers (.8 oz)
1½ cups of Sesame Seeds (5.3 oz)
1/2 cup of Pumpkin Seeds (2.6 oz)
2 Garlic cloves (.3 oz)
2 whole Allspices
5 Coriander sprigs (5.8 oz)
3 Parsley sprigs (1.1 oz)
6 cups of Chicken Stock (1.5 qts)
5 tablespoons of Lard (2.6 oz)
3 Black Peppercorns
1/2 tablespoon of Salt
1 Frying Pan
1 Measuring Cup
1 Cutting Board
1 Mixing Spatula
Work with the Pumpkin Seeds
- Put in a frying pan over medium heat 1/2 cup of pumpkin seeds and roast them for approximately 1 minute, until they are lightly roasted; stir regularly.
- Transfer from the frying pan to a blender, the pumpkin seeds that were roasted.
- Blend moderately the pumpkin seeds.
||The pumpkin seeds are not totally blended so the mole has an interesting texture.
Blend Many Ingredients
- Transfer from the blender to a bowl the pumpkin seeds that were blended.
- Also add in the bowl 1/2 cup of chicken stock (4.2 fl oz).
- Mix very well the bowl ingredients, with a mixing spatula, until having a thick paste. Then set aside.
- Remove the veins and the seeds of 2 Poblano peppers and then put them in the blender; then set aside.
- Put in the frying pan over medium heat 1½ cups of sesame seeds and roast them for approximately 1½ minutes, until they are lightly roasted; stir regularly.
- Transfer from the frying pan to the blender the sesame seeds that were roasted.
- Also add in the blender:
- 8 Lettuce Leaves.
- 5 Chard Leaves.
- 4 Tomatillos.
- 2 Serrano Peppers.
- 2 Garlic cloves.
- 3 Cloves.
- 2 whole Allspices.
- 5 Coriander sprigs.
- 3 Parsley sprigs.
- 2 cups of Chicken Stock (1/2 qt).
- 3 Black Peppercorns.
- Blend very well the ingredients and reserve.
Cook the Mole
- Melt in a saucepan over low heat 5 tablespoons of lard.
- Incorporate in the saucepan the paste that was mixed in the bowl and fry it for about 5 minutes, until it is well fried; stir regularly.
- Add in the saucepan:
- The Mixture that was blended.
- 3½ cups of Chicken Stock (21.1 fl oz).
- 1/2 tablespoon of Salt.
- Mix the saucepan ingredients.
- Cook the green mole from Michoacan for about 20 minutes, until it thickens and acquires a more intense color; stir occasionally.
Elaborated and Delicious
Since this mole has many fresh ingredients, it will only last
Now try the mole from Queretaro.
Did you like the Mole from Michoacan?
More Mexican Recipes
♪ Potato Quesadilla
♪ Red Chilaquiles
♪ Beef Salpicon
♪ Cantaloupe Water