Home >> Salsas and Dips >>
The guaje is a type of shrub of the Leguminosae family, it is not too big and is originally from Mexico. It grows in the southern states and in the center of the republic. These shrubs are known as “guasch" in the northern part of the state of Puebla and in some parts of Veracruz. The guasch bears fruits in the form of a pod , from which seeds are obtained that are used to prepare this salsa.
The taste of the guasch seeds is curious because they have a bitter touch and they leave a sensation of sweetness . Although as good Mexican salsa more ingredients are used, which are going to reduce the guasch seeds’ flavor but they also complement it with a spicy and fresh touch.
The guasch salsa can be used to give a touch of seasoning to different dishes. It is magnificent to put to typical appetizers from Puebla like tlacoyos, Puebla style rice , gorditas, cemitas, etc.
About the Recipe
- This preparation is a little tedious because the guasch seeds have to be remove from their pods but everything is easy to make.
- To make the recipe guasch seeds are used which are sold in pods. If you are lucky and find the guasch seeds, without pods, you have to buy 10.5 oz.
- The total preparation time is of 15 minutes.
- The recipe is for 1 cup.
- Remove the seeds of 1.1 lbs of guasch pods. Upon completion discard the pods and reserve the seeds.
- Remove the seeds of 2 guajillo peppers.
- Put on a griddle over medium heat:
- The 2 Guajillo Peppers with the ones you worked.
- 2 Morita Peppers.
- Roast the griddle ingredients for approximately 1 minute 15 seconds, until all their sides are lightly roasted; move them regularly with some tongs.
|Don’t roast the chilies for a long time because their flavor becomes bitter.|
- Transfer from the griddle to a blender, with the tongs, the chilies that were roasted. Also add in the blender:
- The Guasch Seeds with the ones you worked.
- 1 Onion.
- 1/4 cup of Water (2 fl oz).
- 1/2 tablespoon of Salt.
- Blend very well the ingredients.
A Puebla Secret
Variation: Now taste the salsa with the guasch flowers.
Did you like the Guaje Salsa?
☁ Red Rice
☁ Charro Beans
☁ Squash Blossom Quesadillas
☁ Garlic Shrimps
☁ Fried Plantains