Home >> Salsas and Dips >>
dark and brilliant
The dried chilies variety that are used in the Mexican cuisine
to prepare salsas is very large and thanks to this the combinations
that can be made between chilies increases. And if we consider the different preparation techniques like roasting, cooking, frying, etc – we obtain an endless list of salsas.
The azabache salsa is one of those combinations. The base of the salsa consists of the combination of 2 similar dried chilies
that have unique characteristics: the pasilla pepper and the mulato pepper. Both chilies are very dark and that’s why the salsa was named “jet” – it really is quite similar to the semiprecious gem black and brilliant.
This salsa is not as elaborated because not that many more ingredients are used. Although in the preparation various tricks are performed to extract all the flavor of the chilies. The mulato pepper has a slightly sweet touch but combined with the pasilla pepper an intense, moderately spicy and very tasty flavor is obtained
. It is a perfect salsa to serve with an arrachera
or with any beef
About the Recipe
- In this preparation you will perform many simple activities.
- In order for your salsa to have an exquisite touch prepare homemade chicken stock.
- We give the recipe with olive oil so the salsa has better flavor but another type of oil could also be used.
- The preparation will take you 15 minutes although it also has to be considered that the chilies are left resting for 1 hour.
- Yields 2 cups.
8 Pasilla Peppers (2.8 oz)
2 Mulato Peppers (.7 oz)
1/2 Onion (2.4 oz)
2 Garlic cloves (.2 oz)
1/2 qt of Chicken Stock
2 tablespoons of Olive Oil
1/2 tablespoon of Salt
1 Cutting Board
Roast the Chilies
- Remove the veins and the seeds of 2 mulato peppers and 8 pasilla peppers.
- Put on a griddle over medium heat the 2 mulato peppers and the 8 pasilla peppers with the ones you worked and roast them for about 4 minutes, until all their sides are moderately roasted; move them regularly with some tongs.
- Transfer from the griddle to a bowl, withe the tongs, the chilies that were roasted.
- Pour in the bowl where the chilies were placed 1/2 qt of warm chicken stock.
- Leave the chillies that were put in the bowl soaking for approximately 1 hour, until they soften.
||The chilies are soaked in the chicken stock so the broth starts absorbing the chilies’ flavor.
1 hour later...
- Verify that the chilies that were left soaking are soft, if not leave them soaking for longer time.
- Transfer from the bowl to a blender the chilies that were soaked and all the chicken stock.
- Also add in the blender:
- 1/2 Onion.
- 2 Garlic cloves.
- Blend very well the ingredients and reserve.
Cook the Salsa
- Heat in a saucepan over medium heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Incorporate in the saucepan:
- Strain the Mixture that was blended
- 1/2 tablespoon of Salt.
- Mix the saucepan ingredients and bring the jet salsa to a boil over high heat.
- When the jet salsa boils reduce to medium heat and cook it for about 5 minutes, until it thickens a little and it acquires a darker color; stir occasionally.
Taste again the combination
of mulato pepper with pasilla pepper in the version of a mole.
Did you like the Jet Salsa?
More Mexican Salsas
❅ Chili Water
❅ Grapefruit Pico de Gallo
❅ Yucatecan Pipian
❅ Spices Recado