Home >> Salsas and Dips >>
~ salsa with mango ~
This salsa is originally
from Huetamo, Michoacan and it is an amazing mixture – you really don’t imagine what your are going to prepare.
The curious thing about the huetamo is that it is a salsa that is prepared with green mango. Yes, in this occasion you will feel the sweet and tropical flavor of the green mango immersed in a spicy and powerful salsa
. It also has a fantastic texture because mango and onion chunks can be felt in every bite.
The end result is sensational, complex and aromatic. It is an ideal preparation to accompany with beef
or pork grilled steak
or with a fish
About the Recipe
- The elaboration of this salsa is fun because a lot of easy things will be made.
- This recipe can only be prepared with green and hard mangos. It is very funny but in Mexico the mangos are also used as if they were vegetables.
- Use peppercorns instead of ground pepper so the huetamo has more aroma and a better flavor.
- To make the huetamo any type of vegetable oil can be used.
- The preparation of this salsa will take 20 minutes.
- The recipe serves 6 portions.
4 Green Mangos (28.2 oz)
10 Guajillo Peppers (3.5 oz)
1/4 of an Onion (1.2 oz)
1 Garlic clove (.1 oz)
6 tablespoons of Vegetable Oil (3.1 fl oz)
3 Black Peppercorns
1/2 tablespoon of Salt
1 Frying Pan
1 Chopping Board
Roast, Blend and Chop
- Remove the seeds of 10 guajillo peppers.
||The veins of the guajillo peppers are not removed so the flavor of the chili is very present in the salsa and it contrasts with the mango.
- Put on a griddle over medium heat the 10 guajillo peppers with the ones you worked and roast them for about 2 minutes, until all their sides are moderately roasted; move them regularly with some tongs.
||Make sure that the chilies don’t burn because its flavor becomes bitter.
- Transfer from the griddle to a blender, with the tongs, the chilies that were roasted.
- Also add in the blender:
- 1 Garlic clove.
- 3 Cloves.
- 3 Black Peppercorns.
- Blend very well the ingredients and reserve.
- Cut into strips 1/4 of an onion and dice 4 green mangos; then set aside.
Fry All the Ingredients
- Heat in a frying pan over low heat 6 tablespoons of vegetable oil.
- Incorporate in the frying pan:
- The Onion strips that were cut.
- The dices of the Green Mangos that were cut.
- Mix the frying pan ingredients and fry them for about 3 minutes, until the onion softens and the mango acquires a yellower tone; stir regularly.
- Add in the frying pan:
- The Mixture that was blended.
- 1/2 tablespoon of Salt.
- Mix the frying pan ingredients and bring the huetamo to a boil over high heat.
- When the huetamo boils reduce to low heat and cook it for about 5 minutes, until it thickens a little and acquires a redder color; stir occasionally.
The Mango Flavor
The guajillo pepper is used a lot in the preparation of adobos.
If you liked the flavor
you also have to taste the chilakil from the southeast.
Did you like the Huetamo?
Interesting Mexican Recipes
↻ Blue Tortilla
↻ Spiced Coffee
↻ Wind Fritters
↻ Octopus Ceviche
↻ Lima Soup