Home >> Salsas and Dips >>
The Northern Salsa
Although this is a salsa from northern Mexico it could also be from any region of the republic because the ingredients and the preparation are very common . Regardless of this factor, the good thing is that we are going to have on the table a delicious salsa the northerners contrived.
The northern salsa is a bit spicy and smoky because it is prepared with chipotle peppers and is combined with tomatillos that give an acidic flavor, which contrasts with the flavor of the sugar and the orange juice (other ingredients that are also used in the salsa). And to balance all this mixture the flavor and the aroma of the cumin, the onion and the garlic is used.
This sals can be used in many dishes, in fact it can serve for almost any dish that has meat or to give an exquisite flavor to an appetizer.
About the Recipe
- In this recipe you are going to preform many activities but they are not complicated.
- The chipotle peppers that are used in the recipe can be bought canned or you can prepare them.
- To make the salsa oil is used and we recommend using olive oil so it gets better flavor.
- 15 minutes are needed to prepare the salsa.
- Yields 2 cups of salsa.
DirectionsCook and Blend
- Put in a saucepan:
- 10 Tomatillos.
- The enough Water to cover all the tomatillos.
- Bring the saucepan water to a boil over high heat.
- Leave the tomatillos cooking in the boiling water for about 5 minutes, until they turn to a lighter color.
|Don’t cook the tomatillos for a long time, because its skin breaks and its flavor becomes bitter.|
- Transfer from the saucepan to a blender, with a kitchen spoon, all the tomatillos that were cooked.
- Also add in the blender:
- 5 Chipotle Peppers in adobo.
- The juice of 1 Orange.
- 3 Garlic cloves.
- 1/2 tablespoon of Sugar.
- 1 teaspoon of Cumin.
- Blend very well the ingredients and reserve.
Fry and Cook
- Finely chop 1/2 onion and reserve.
- Heat in the saucepan over low heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Put in the saucepan the onion that was minced and fry it for approximately 1 minute, until it looks a bit transparent; stir regularly.
- Incorporate in the saucepan:
- The Mixture that was blended.
- 1/4 tablespoon of Salt.
- Mix the saucepan ingredients and bring the northern salsa to a boil over high heat.
- When the northern salsa boils reduce to medium heat and cook it for about 5 minutes, until it thickens a little and acquires a more intense color; stir occasionally.
Flavors from the North
* This salsa is going to preserve for about 5 days in the fridge.
Recommendation: If you like the northern flavors also prepare the northern drunk salsa.
Did you like the Northern Salsa?
Mexican Dishes with Meat
❦ Crab Tostada
❦ Chicken Salpicon
❦ Tacos al Carbon
❦ Chorizo Burrito
❦ Pork Picadillo