Home >> Salsas and Dips >>
Pasilla Pepper Adobo
– very complete –
The adobos are common and habitual in the Mexican recipe book. They consist of mixing various ingredients and condiments to obtain a type of salsa that is used to season other foods like meats or fishes. The vast majority of the adobos are prepared with dried chilies.
In this recipe the dried chili that is used is the pasilla pepper, which fills the adobo with a flavor that is intense, spicy, toasted and even with sweet notes . This combination of flavors are mixed with tomato, garlic and onion that help to balance the flavors. As good adobo spices are also used that give an aromatic touch and as final touch the acidic point of the vinegar could not be missed. It is a very complete adobo that everything that touches is filled with flavor.
We recommend using the pasilla pepper adobo to marinate some types of meat. If pork or chicken are going to be cooked, marinate them with this adobo for about 2 hours and if shrimps are going to be cooked marinate them with the adobo for about 10 minutes. The flavor that they will acquire is going to be of another dimension.
About the Recipe
- The preparation of this adobo is not complicated but you have to work a little.
- When the pasilla peppers are bough pick the ones that don’t have transparent parts because this indicates that they are not in a good state.
- To make the recipe use apple cider vinegar and don’t substitute it for another type of vinegar because is the one that best flavor gives to the preparation.
- Since you are going to make an adobo the preparation time is a bit long and it takes .
- The recipe is for 1 cup of adobo.
DirectionsWork with the Pasilla Peppers
- Put in a saucepan:
- 4 Pasilla Peppers.
- The enough Water to cover the chilies.
- Bring the saucepan water to a boil over high heat.
- Leave the chilies cooking in the boiling water for about 4 minutes, until they are soft.
- Remove from the saucepan, with some tongs, the chilies that were cooked and discard the veins and seeds.
|It is very important to remove the veins and seeds of the chilies so the adobo has a better texture.|
- Put in a blender the 4 pasilla peppers with the ones you worked and reserve.
Roast and Blend
- Put on a griddle over medium heat:
- 1 Tomato.
- 1/2 Onion.
- 2 Garlic cloves with skin.
- Roast the garlics for approximately 1 minute 30 seconds, the onion for about 2 minutes 30 seconds and the tomato for about 5 minutes, until all their sides are moderately roasted; move them regularly with the tongs.
- Transfer from the griddle to the blender, with the tongs, the onion and the tomato that were roasted; then set aside.
- Remove from the griddle the garlic cloves and wait for them to cool a little.
- Peel the garlic cloves that were roasted, then put them in the blender and also add:
- 1 teaspoon of Sugar.
- 1/2 teaspoon of Oregano.
- 1/2 teaspoon of Thyme.
- 2 tablespoons of Apple Cider Vinegar.
- 3 Black Peppercorns.
- Blend very well the ingredients and reserve.
Cook the Adobo
- Heat in the saucepan over medium heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Add in the saucepan:
- The Mixture that was blended.
- 1 Bay Leaf.
- 1/2 tablespoon of Salt.
- Mix the saucepan ingredients and wait for the pasilla pepper adobo to boil.
- When the pasilla pepper adobo boils reduce to low heat and cook it for about 10 minutes, until it thickens a little and acquires a darker color; stir occasionally.
- When the cooking is done discard the bay leaf.
for your Dishes
* This adobo can be frozen and it will preserve perfectly well for 6 months.
Variation: The adobo can also be prepared with ancho pepper.
Did you like the Adobo?
❋ Garlic Shrimps
❋ Veracruz Style Fish
❋ Pork Picadillo
❋ Chicken Tacos
❋ Pork in Adobo