Home >> Salsas and Dips >>
This pickled onions are the classical accompaniment of a dish known as tatemado. Although it is an accompaniment that specializes
in the tatemado they can also be used to accompany salads
– it will give a touch of lightness, sourness and freshness.
The pickled onions for tatemado consist of raw red onions that are submerged in lime juice and they are seasoned with salt
. In this way the onions acquire a very special flavor, that you have to taste.
– The tatemado is a typical dish from the state of Colima, that consists of a roasted pork
meat stew that has a salsa
based in pasilla pepper. And the pickled is a fresh food preparation technique that helps to preserve them for a longer time, with out losing their nutritional properties.
About the Recipe
- For this recipe any experience nor special cuisine knowledge is needed – it is super easy.
- This recipe could be prepared with white onion however the typical and authentic recipe is prepared with red onion; which is more attractive and it has more flavor.
- The recipe is prepared with lime juice although if you want it could be substituted for 1 cup of white vinegar (8.4 fl oz).
- The preparation requires of only 5 minutes + 2 hours of rest.
- The recipe is for 4 cups.
2 Red Onions (1.1 lbs)
8 Limes (8.4 oz)
1/2 tablespoon of Salt
1 Chopping Board
1 Mixing Spatula
1 Lime Squeezer (optional)
- Cut 2 red onions into strips and put them in a bowl.
- Also add in the bowl:
- The juice of 8 Limes.
- 1/2 tablespoon of Salt.
- Mix very well the bowl ingredients with a mixing spatula.
- Leave the pickled onions for tatemado resting for 2 hours, so the flavors combine.
This onions can last
you in the fridge for several weeks. Just make sure to store them in a glass container that air tight seals.
Try this onions with a snack or with some crackers, you will love the combination.
Did you like the Pickled Onions?
Mexican Main Dishes
✻ Spicy Cecina
✻ Tacos al Carbón
✻ Beef Picadillo