Home >> Salsas and Dips >>
The tomato brothy is a basic salsa of the Mexican cuisine that is used to accompany an infinity of typical Mexican dishes like the cheese stuffed chillies, meatballs, zucchinis with cheese, chayote, cauliflower, vegetable tortitas, tuna tortitas, huauzontles, potatoes, eggs, steak, chicken , sausages, etc., etc., etc. The list is really endless.
The beauty about this salsa is that when it is added to a dish, it transforms it into a completely different dish thanks to the sweet, subtle, fresh and spicy flavors that it provides.
As you could realize this salsa can be used in complex dishes, in simple dishes... but that’s not all because you can also use it to simply spice up your soups.
About the Recipe
- This recipe is very easy to make. There’s really none step that may result complicated or laborious.
- To prepare the tomato brothy 1 cup of chicken stock is needed. In case of not having it, it can be substituted with water however with the stock it acquires more flavor.
- In this recipe the serrano pepper is used which is a spicy chili. If you don’t want your tomato brothy to be spicy, reduce the serrano peppers’ quantity to taste.
- Remember to pick for this recipe, the tomatoes that are red and ripe but not too heavy so the flavor will be optimum.
- The preparation of this salsa will take .
- The recipe is for 1 cup.
DirectionsPeel the Tomatoes
- Make a shallow X cut on the inferior part of 4 tomatoes, then reserve.
- Pour in a saucepan the enough water to cover the 4 tomatoes with the ones you worked and bring it to a boil over high heat.
- When it boils incorporate in the saucepan the 4 tomatoes with the ones you worked and leave them cooking in the boiling water for about 25 seconds, until the skins start to separate.
- Take from the saucepan, with a kitchen spoon, the tomatoes that were cooked and rinse them with cold water.
- Remove the skins of the tomatoes that were rinsed. Upon completion put them in a blender and reserve.
|The tomatoes’ skin has to be removed because it is not pleasant to find the skin of a tomato in the dish that was seasoned.|
Blend some Ingredients
- Remove the seeds and the veins of 4 serrano peppers, then put them in the blender along with the tomatoes.
- Also add in the blender:
- 1/3 of an Onion.
- 1 Garlic clove.
- 1 cup of Chicken Stock.
- 1/2 tablespoon of Salt.
- Blend very well all the ingredients, then reserve.
Cook the Tomato Brothy
- Finely chop 5 coriander sprigs, then set aside.
- Heat in the saucepan over medium heat 1/4 cup of olive oil.
- Pour in the saucepan the mixture that was blended and bring it to a boil over high heat.
- When the tomato brothy boils reduce to medium heat and cook it for about 15 minutes, until it has a more intense color and it has thicken a little; stir occasionally.
- When the cooking is done add in the tomato brothy the coriander that was minced and stir the ingredients.
|The coriander is added at the end so the brothy gets more flavor, freshness and aroma.|
A Spicy Seasoning
and Very Mexican
* This recipe is called “brothy" because it is very watery .
Variation: If you liked this salsa don’t miss tasting the delicious Mexican style tomato soup.
Did you like the Brothy?
The Mexican Soups
✲ Lima Soup
✲ Tlalpeno Soup
✲ Seafood Soup
✲ Shrimp Chilpachole
✲ Tortilla Soup