Home >> Breakfasts >>
Red Chilaquiles with
When someone thinks about the chilaquiles it can be concluded that it is a simple dish and little elaborated as it only consists of tortilla pieces bathed with salsa . But the reality is that they hide a whole structure of flavors and textures. This is achieved by mixing many ingredients in its preparation.
These chilaquiles apart from having many ingredients combining also chicken is added. In this way the dish becomes big, very nutritious and it is a very good day of starting your day – with lots of energy .
The chilaquiles dish can also be accompanied with diverse appetizers so it looks grandiose like: refried beans , guacamole , red rice , quesadillas , etc.
About the Recipe
- The chicken chilaquiles are a bit difficult to make since there are many steps to follow and an intermediate cuisine knowledge is needed; but above all patience.
- If you have old tortillas or a bit dried, use them in this recipe. They are the best to make the chilaquiles because they are the crispiest.
- In this recipe the tortillas are fried and a vegetable oil must be used because the olive oil is not good for frying dough.
- When the chilaquiles are cooked an epazote sprig is added so they acquire a fantastic flavor, you really have to use it.
- The preparation time is of .
- This recipe is for 2 persons.
DirectionsCook the Chicken
- Clean 1/2 chicken breast and put it in a saucepan.
- Also add in the saucepan:
- 1/2 Onion (2.6 oz).
- 1 Garlic clove (.1 oz).
- The enough Water to cover the chicken breast.
- 1/2 tablespoon of Salt.
- Bring the saucepan water to a boil over high heat.
- When it boils cover the saucepan and leave the chicken cooking in the boiling water for about 20 minutes, until it is well cooked.
|Make sure that the chicken is always covered with water because it will consume. If scum accumulates on the surface remove it.|
While the Chicken is Ready... The Tortilla Chips
- Cut 8 maize tortillas into triangles, then set aside.
- Pour in a frying pan approximately 1 cup of vegetable oil, so you end up having about a 1/2’’ deep oil layer.
- Heat the frying pan oil over medium-high heat.
- Put in the frying pan the tortilla triangles that were cut and fry them for about 2 minutes, until they are moderately fried; move them regularly with a skimmer or with a slotted spoon.
|The tortillas are fried so the chilaquiles have more flavor.|
- Transfer from the frying pan to some paper towels, with the skimmer or the slotted spoon, the tortilla triangles that were fried so they dry and the fat excess is absorbed; then set aside.
Prepare the Red Salsa
- Remove the seeds and veins of 1 arbol pepper and 2 guajillo peppers.
- Put in another saucepan:
- The Arbol Pepper with the one you worked.
- The 2 Guajillo Peppers with the ones you worked.
- 2 Tomatoes.
- The enough Water to cover all the ingredients.
- Bring the saucepan water to a boil over high heat and leave chilies and the tomatoes cooking in the boiling water for about 4 minutes, until the chilies soften.
- Transfer from the saucepan to a blender, with a kitchen spoon, the chilies and the tomatoes that were cooked.
- Also add in the blender:
- 1/4 of an Onion (1.3 oz).
- 1 Garlic clove (.1 oz).
- Pepper to taste.
- Blend very well the ingredients, then set aside.
20 minutes later...
- Verify that the chicken that was left cooking is well cooked, its color must be white outside and inside; if not cook it for a longer time.
- Take from the saucepan the chicken breast with the kitchen spoon, wait until it cools a little and shred it; then set aside.
|Don’t throw away the broth that was obtained from cooking the chicken because it is very tasty and you can use it to prepare a soup.|
Make the Chilaquiles
- Heat in the saucepan over high heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Add in the saucepan:
- The Red Salsa that was prepared.
- 1 Epazote sprig.
- 1/2 tablespoon of Salt.
- Mix the saucepan ingredients and wait for the the salsa to boil.
- When the salsa boils reduce to medium heat and cook it for about 5 minutes, until it thickens a little; stir occasionally.
- Reduce to low heat, put in the saucepan all the tortilla triangles that were fried and mix them with the salsa without breaking them.
- Incorporate in the saucepan the chicken that was shredded, mix the ingredients and cook the red chilaquiles with chicken for about 3 minutes, until the salsa has a very thick consistency; stir occasionally. Then set aside.
Garnish the Chilaquiles
- Finely chop 1/4 of an onion (1.3 oz) and 1 coriander sprig; then set aside.
- Discard the epazote sprig that was put in the chilaquiles.
- Serve the red chilaquiles with chicken and add them the following ingredients:
- 2 tablespoons of Mexican Cream.
- The Onion that was minced.
- Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of crumbled Fresh Cheese.
- The Coriander that was minced.
|Preferably put the ingredients in the same order as given so the chilaquiles look divine.|
Tip: If you want you can also put avocado strips over the chilaquiles to give them contrast and more flavor.
Suggestion: Enjoy your chilaquiles with a tasty Mexican drink.
Variation: The chilaquiles can also be prepared of green color.
Did you like the Chilaquiles?
Similar Mexican Recipes
≈ Tortilla Soup
≈ Green Enchiladas with Beef
≈ Fried Chicken Tacos
≈ Swiss Enchiladas