Home >> Salsas and Dips >>
The Black Salsa
Don’t be deceived by the name of this recipe because what it has of black is only the name. Then you may wonder... Why call a salsa “black” that is not black? This is due to the ingredients, that are used in the preparation, are roasted until they darken a lot
. It is a salsa where you will see common Mexican ingredients with a darker hue than usual.
We are sure that you are imagining a salsa with flavors that are toasted, strong, penetrating and very good – well you are totally right but spicy notes can also be found because pequin peppers are used in the preparation and it also has an acidic touch that the tomatillos provide.
The black salsa is versatile because it can be used to accompany
almost any dish that has beef
like some fried tacos
, a grilled steak
, an arrachera
About the Recipe
- In this recipe you are only going to roast many ingredients and then everything is blended. It can be considered as a simple recipe.
- In the preparation pequin peppers are used and they must be dried.
- Preferably use a large griddle because many ingredients are roasted and in this way all the ingredients will be roasted at once.
- The total preparation time is quick, like of 10 minutes.
- With this recipe 1½ cups of black salsa will be obtained.
10 Tomatillos (17.6 oz)
4 dried Pequin Peppers (.2 oz)
3/4 of an Onion (3.5 oz)
4 Garlic cloves (.5 oz)
1/2 tablespoon of Salt
- Put on a griddle over medium heat:
- 10 Tomatillos.
- 4 dried Pequin Peppers.
- 3/4 of an Onion.
- 4 Garlic cloves.
- Roast the chilies for about 35 seconds, the onion and the garlics for about 2½ minutes and the tomatillos for about 4 minutes, until all their sides are well roasted; move them regularly with some tongs.
- Transfer from the griddle to a blender, with the tongs, all the ingredients that were roasted.
- Also add in the blender 1/2 tablespoon of salt.
- Blend very well the ingredients.
on your plate
a salsa where the pequin pepper
is the protagonist.
Did you like the Black Salsa?
Mexican Dishes with Beef
✰ Beef Jerky
✰ Steak with Onions
✰ Beef Burrito
✰ Green Enchiladas with Ground Beef