Home >> Salsas and Dips >>
Chili and Cheese Salsa
– tradition from the North –
In each region of Mexico recipes and dishes are created based in the products that are in the area and they are normally seasoned with the touch of the region.
This recipe comes from the cuisine
of Chihuahua and it is a spicy
salsa – where the most popular ingredients of the state are combined: the chili and the cheese.
What you will have on your table is an exquisite salsa, full of creaminess and very different because the salsa is mixed and immersed in melted cheese
. You really have to taste it, is a whole experience. This salsa is not too thick therefore it cannot be used as dip but it can be put on tostadas
and even on some chicken
or beef tacos.
About the Recipe
- In this recipe many activities will be performed that seem complex but in reality they are simple.
- As we have a recipe from the north it is prepared with Chihuahua cheese but if you don’t have it Monterey Jack cheese could also be used.
- Traditionally the salsa is prepared with lard but if you prefer you can use olive or vegetable oil.
- The preparation will take about 15 minutes.
- The recipe yields 2 cups.
5 Jalapeno Peppers (2.6 oz)
7 oz of grated Chihuahua Cheese
3 Tomatoes (21.1 oz)
1 Onion (5.2 oz)
1 tablespoon of Lard
1/2 tablespoon of Salt
1 Measuring Cup
1 Cutting Board
Roast and Blend
- Put on a griddle over medium heat:
- 5 Jalapeno Peppers.
- 3 Tomatoes
||If you want to reduce the salsa’s hotness remove the veins and the seeds of the jalapeno peppers.
- Roast the griddle ingredients for about 4 minutes, until all their sides are moderately roasted; move them regularly with some tongs.
- Transfer from the griddle to a blender, with the tongs, the chilies and the tomatoes that were roasted.
- Blend very well the ingredients and reserve.
Cook the Salsa
- Finely chop 1 onion, then reserve.
- Melt in a saucepan over medium heat 1 tablespoon of lard.
- Add in the saucepan the onion that was minced and fry it for approximately 1 minute, until it looks a bit transparent; stir regularly.
- Incorporate in the saucepan:
- The Mixture that was blended.
- 1/4 cup of Water (2 fl oz).
- 1/2 tablespoon of Salt.
- Mix the saucepan ingredients and cook them for about 5 minutes, until they thicken a little and they acquire a more vivid color; stir occasionally.
- Incorporate in the saucepan 7 oz of grated Chihuahua cheese and leave the chili and cheese salsa cooking for approximately 1 minute, until the cheese has melted.
||It is very important to incorporate the cheese grated because it melts easier and it acquires a better consistency.
Soft and Spicy
You have to eat this salsa immediately
because when it cools its consistency ruins.
Since you like the jalapenos, now try them in a creamy dressing.
Did you like the Chili with Cheese Salsa?
More Mexican Salsas
✥ Catarina Salsa
✥ Poblano Pepper Dip
✥ Red Pipian
✥ Ancho Pepper Adobo
✥ Spices Recado