Home >> Salsas and Dips >>
Pico de Gallo
This salsa probably is one of the most typical of the Mexican cuisine. It is a classic of taco stalls and Mexican fondas. And as almost in all the popular Mexican recipes there is a multitude of variations from the original recipe.
The pico de gallo salsa is of solid consistency where tomato, onion, coriander and chili are mixed; which are seasoned to obtain a salsa that is refreshing, slightly spicy and with acidic notes. In the classic version of the pico de gallo orange is added in the preparation to give a citrus and sweet touch to the recipe , that contrasts in a unique way with the other flavors.
– It is believed that the name “pico de gallo" (rooster’s beak) was assigned to this salsa because its colors resemble the colors of the rooster.
The extraordinary thing about this singular salsa is that it could almost be considered a salad and that’s why it is the perfect accompaniment of snacks and appetizers. It is also ideal to put to a grilled fish or to some delicious and crispy fried chicken tacos.
About the Recipe
- The preparation of this salsa is super easy.
- We recommend using red onion in the recipe because it is crispier, its flavor is potent and it gives a nice color to the pico de gallo.
- In the preparation 1 orange is used, which has to be cut minutely. We recommend using a small and sharp knife for best results.
- Give a finer flavor to the salsa with extra virgin olive oil.
- In 15 minutes the recipe will be completed.
- This preparation is for 2 cups.
DirectionsCut Many Ingredients
- Dice 1/2 red onion and 2 tomatoes; upon completion put them in a bowl and reserve.
- Finely chop 1 serrano pepper and 2 coriander sprigs; than pass them to the bowl and reserve.
|If you want a less spicy pico de gallo, remove the seeds and the veins of the serrano pepper.|
- Peel 1 orange, making sure of removing the pith, then separate the segments.
- Remove the skin and the seeds of the orange segments that were separated.
- Cut into small chunks the orange segments with the ones you worked and put them in the bowl with the other ingredients; then set aside.
Mix the Ingredients
- Put in another bowl:
- The juice of 2 Limes.
- 3 tablespoons of Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
- 1/2 tablespoon of Salt.
- Beat the bowl ingredients with a balloon whisk or with a fork, until they are well integrated.
- Pour the dressing that was beaten in the bowl over the other bowl, where the classic pico de gallo is.
- Mix very well the classic pico de gallo with a mixing spatula.
Refreshing and Citric
Variation: Know the Yucatecan version of the pico de gallo.
Did you like the Pico de Gallo?
Other Mexican Salsas
⟳ Red Salsa
⟳ Mole from Xico
⟳ Chili Water
⟳ Chili Macho Salsa
⟳ Ha’ Sikil P’ak