Home >> Salsas and Dips >>
Ha’ Sikil P’ak
The name of this salsa is very rare and this is because it is of Mayan origins, therefore its name is Mayan. In this recipe you will have the opportunity of trying a millenary tradition, you will taste the flavors that the Mayans liked .
The main ingredients that are used in this salsa are contained in its name Ha’ = Water, Sikil = Pumpkin Seeds and P’ak = Tomato. The most amazing thing about this recipe is its consistency, which is thick but without becoming a pasta. Its flavor is subtle, spicy, with sweet and acid notes at once.
The Ha’ Sikil P’ak is a Yucatecan delight that can be tried as dip accompanied with some tortilla chips or as salsa with a Yucatecan appetizer , like some delicious panuchos.
About the Recipe
- The name of this recipe is very difficult to pronounce but the preparation is very easy to make.
- In this salsa pumpkin seeds are used, that give an irreplaceable flavor and consistency. It is very important that the pumpkin seeds don’t have salt nor any flavoring.
- Although habanero pepper is used in this salsa, it is not so spicy because little chili is used and the seeds and the veins are removed.
- In 10 minutes your salsa will be ready.
- The recipe is for 2 cups.
DirectionsRoast some Ingredients
- Remove the seeds and the veins of 1/2 habanero pepper.
- Put on a griddle over medium heat:
- The 1/2 Habanero Pepper with the one you worked.
- 1½ cups of Pumpkin Seeds.
- Roast the griddle ingredients for about 2 minutes, until all their sides are moderately roasted; move them regularly.
|Don’t roast the chili for a long time until it burns because its flavor becomes bitter.|
- Transfer from the griddle to a blender the ingredients that were roasted, then reserve.
- Incorporate on the griddle over medium heat 2 tomatoes and roast them for about 4 minutes, until all their sides are moderately roasted; move them regularly with some tongs.
|If you want you can remove the tomatoes’ skin so there are no small skin pieces in the salsa.|
- Transfer from the griddle to the blender, with the tongs, the tomatoes that were roasted; then reserve.
Blend All the Ingredients
- Finely chop 2 coriander sprigs, then set aside.
- Also add in the blender, along with the other ingredients:
- 1/2 cup of Water (4.2 fl oz).
- 1/4 tablespoon of Salt.
- Blend very well the ingredients.
- Pour in a bowl the ha’ sikil p’ak.
- Add in the ha’ sikil p’ak the coriander that was minced and mix it with a mixing spatula.
Variation: Another typical salsa from Yucatan, the Yucatecan style pico de gallo.
Did you like the Ha’ Sikil P’ak?
Other Interesting Mexican Salsas
↺ Cuaresmenos Creamy Dressing
↺ Chipotle Yogurt Dip
↺ White Pickled
↺ Watermelon Guacamole