Home >> Salsas and Dips >>
The Comapeno Pepper Salsa
It is likely that up to now you have not heard about the “comapeno pepper". This chili variety is one of the treasures that can be found in the locality of Comapa, in the mountains of the state of Veracruz.
It is a small chili of conical shape, it has an intense red color and is very spicy – it can also be found in the famous macha salsa. In this recipe the comapeno peppers are used dried and they are fried to obtain all its range of aromas and complex flavors. What is amazing about the salsa is that it also has nut touches , which come from the comapeno peppers.
The salsa is also mixed with other ingredients that give a very tasty seasoning and it can be used to accompany a good breakfast of eggs with pot beans and some freshly made tortillas.
About the Recipe
- In this recipe you are going to roast, cut, fry, blend and many more activities... is a laborious preparation but it is not complex.
- We are aware that is difficult to find the comapeno peppers therefore they can be substituted for 6 arbol peppers but your salsa won’t have the complexity that the companeo pepper provides.
- In the recipe chicken stock is also used and our recommendation is that you prepare it on your own so the salsa will have a more natural flavor.
- The salsa is seasoned with epazote and is very important to use it because it gives a very special flavor to the salsa.
- The preparation takes about 25 minutes.
- The recipe is for 2 cups of salsa.
DirectionsRoast and Chop
- Put on a griddle over medium heat 3 tomatoes and roast them for about 4 minutes, until all their sides are moderately roasted; move them regularly with some tongs.
- Transfer from the griddle to a blender, with the tongs, the tomatoes that were roasted; then reserve.
- Finely chop 1/4 of an onion and 1 garlic clove; then set aside.
- Remove the seeds of 6 dried comapeno peppers.
|It is very important to remove the seeds of the chilies otherwise your salsa is going to be fire and you won’t be able to enjoy it.|
- Cut into small chunks the 6 dried comapeno peppers with the ones you worked, then reserve.
Fry some Ingredients
- Heat in a frying pan over low heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Incorporate in the frying pan:
- The Onion that was minced.
- The Garlic clove that was minced.
- Mix the frying pan ingredients and fry them for approximately 1 minute, until they look a bit transparent; stir regularly.
- Add in the frying pan the small chunks of the dried comapeno peppers that were cut. Mix the ingredients and fry them for approximately 1 minute, until the chilies are lightly fried, stir regularly.
- Transfer from the frying pan to the blender all the ingredients that were fried.
Blend and Cook
- Also add in the blender 1 cup of chicken stock.
- Blend very well the ingredients.
- Put in a saucepan:
- The Mixture that was blended.
- 1 Epazote sprig.
- 1/2 tablespoon of Salt.
- Mix the saucepan ingredients and bring the comapeno pepper salsa to a boil over high heat.
- When the comapeno pepper salsa boils reduce to medium heat and cook it for about 7 minutes, until it thickens a little and acquires a more intense color; stir occasionally.
- When the cooking is done discard the epazote sprig.
* Since this salsa has onion, it will only last about 4 days in the refrigerator.
Did you like the Comapeno Salsa?
ϭ Green Chilaquiles
ϭ Red Chilaquiles with Chicken
ϭ Mexican Style Eggs
ϭ Ranch Style Eggs
ϭ Machaca with Egg