Home >> Salsas and Dips >>
and Chipotle Pepper Salsa
The dried shrimp is a very popular ingredient in the Mexican recipe book and is not surprising because Mexico produces large quantities of dried shrimps through the sun drying technique. With this drying process the shrimps become smaller but its flavor intensifies.
The dried shrimp and chipotle pepper salsa is a combination that amazes due to the mixture of strong flavors that are combined in a subtle way. Is a very interesting salsa due to its marine flavor that is wrapped with the spicy, smoky and almost sweet touch of the chipotle pepper .
In fact it is a nutritious salsa, that can be served as snack accompanied of some tortilla chips or crackers. It is also perfect for giving a good seasoning point to the fish stock.
About the Recipe
- In this recipe you won’t have any complication, is very easy to make.
- The chipotle peppers must be in adobo and they can be bought canned or you can prepare them yourself.
- The original recipe is made with lard but there is no problem if it is substituted for vegetable shortening or olive oil.
- Only 15 minutes are needed to prepare the recipe.
- With this recipe you will get 2 cups of salsa.
DirectionsFry and Blend
- Finely chop 1/2 onion and 1 garlic clove; then reserve.
- Melt in a frying pan over medium heat 1 tablespoon of lard.
- Incorporate in the frying pan:
- The Onion that was minced.
- The Garlic clove that was minced.
- Mix the frying pan ingredients and fry them for about 2 minutes, until they are lightly fried; stir regularly.
- Transfer from the frying pan to a blender the ingredients that were fried, also add in the blender:
- 2/3 of a cup of Dried Shrimps.
- 2 Chipotle Peppers in Adobo.
- 1 cup of Water (8.4 fl oz).
- Blend very well the ingredients and reserve.
Cook the Salsa
- Melt in a saucepan over low heat 1 tablespoon of lard.
- Add in the saucepan:
- The Mixture that was blended.
- 1 Bay Leaf.
- 1/4 tablespoon of Salt.
- Mix the dried shrimp and chipotle pepper salsa and cook it for about 10 minutes, until it thickens a little and acquires a more intense color; stir occasionally.
- When the cooking is done discard the bay leaf.
Delicious, Nutritious and
Tip: Whenever dried shrimps are used in some preparation, don’t use too much salt because the dried shrimps are very salty.
Suggestion: If you want to taste again the dried shrimps in a salsa – you have to prepare the chintextle.
Did you like the Shrimp and Chipotle Salsa?
✣ Shellfish Soup
✣ Tortilla Soup
✣ Black Bean Soup
✣ Lima Soup
✣ Corn Soup