Home >> Salsas and Dips >>
The pipian is a culinary preparation of Prehispanic origins, which is deeply rooted to the traditions and Mexican recipe books of many families.
The particularity of the pipianes and what differentiates them from the moles ; is that seeds are used, fundamentally pumpkin seeds, to give the salsa a consistency and a flavor full of nuances and textures .
Among the pipian varieties that exist, one of the most popular and versatile is the green pipian. Its fresh and profound flavor makes it the perfect salsa for accompanying special dishes and make them even more special. Accompany with cooked pieces of chicken, turkey or even pork and taste accompanied of some tasty pot beans and some tortillas.
About the Recipe
- The green pipian is not complicated to make, it only requires some time and attention.
- The pumpkin seeds that are used in the recipe must not have shell nor salt.
- As part of the ingredients Mexican pepperleaf is used, which is not that easy to get. Look for it at the markets and if you don’t find it omit it but your pipian will lose a very special flavor.
- Chicken stock will also be used, preferably prepare it at home because it will be more natural.
- The salsa preparation takes because the cooking is slow. This recipe will yield 4 cups.
DirectionsRoast and Cook Ingredients
- Put in a frying pan over low heat:
- 1/2 cup of Pumpkin Seeds.
- 1/4 cup of Sesame Seeds.
- Roast the frying pan ingredients for about 2 minutes, until they are lightly roasted; stir regularly.
- Transfer from the frying pan to a blender the seeds that were roasted, then reserve.
- Put in a saucepan:
- 10 Tomatillos.
- 3 Serrano Peppers.
- The enough Water to cover all the ingredients.
|In this recipe the chilies’ seeds are not removed so the salsa will have more flavor and more textures.|
- Bring the saucepan water to a boil over high heat and leave the saucepan ingredients cooking in the boiling water for about 5 minutes, until the tomatillos turn to a lighter color.
|Don’t cook the tomatillos for a long time because its skin breaks and its flavor becomes bitter.|
- Transfer from the saucepan to the blender, with a kitchen spoon, the ingredients that were cooked.
Blend All the Ingredients and Cook the Pipian
- Also add in the blender, along with the other ingredients:
- 1/4 of an Onion.
- 1 Garlic clove.
- 3 Coriander sprigs.
- 1 Mexican Pepperleaf.
- 2 cups of Chicken Stock.
- Blend very well the ingredients, then reserve.
- Melt in the saucepan over low heat 1 tablespoon of lard.
- Incorporate in the saucepan:
- The Mixture that was blended.
- 1/2 tablespoon of Salt.
- Mix the saucepan ingredients and cook the green pipian for about 20 minutes, until it thickens and acquires a bright green color; stir occasionally.
A very fresh
Suggestion: If you want to garnish the pipian, at the moment of serving it you can sprinkle over it some minced coriander.
Variations: The pipian can also be prepared of red color and it can also be prepared with chocolate.
Did you like the Pipian?
More Mexican Recipes
❂ Tortilla Chips
❂ Avocado Dip