Home >> Salsas and Dips >>
– very spicy –
Another exquisite dish that comes to us from the Yucatecan recipe book, that gathers all the requirements to become the perfect accompaniment of any lunch or dinner.
A combination of habanero peppers, spring onions, bitter orange, coriander and salt that results very spicy and intense; but it is also fresh and aromatic . The concept of this salsa is similar to the pico de gallo because all the ingredients go in chunks. In appearance it resembles the chicken salpicon because the habanero peppers are cut into strips and that’s how it got its name.
This preparation is perfect to accompany appetizers like panuchos, crab or chicken tostadas , a melted cheese with chorizo or even with some good tacos. The hotness and the freshness that your food will acquire with this salsa in unbeatable.
About the Recipe
- The preparation of this recipe is for beginners.
- Be careful in this recipe you are going to work with one of the spiciest chilies in the world, the habanero pepper. Therefore don’t touch your eyes while preparing it.
- As good Yucatecan recipe bitter orange is used, if you don’t get it substitute it for 1/2 cup of orange and 1/2 cup of lime.
- Really try to prepare the salsa with spring onions and don’t substitute them for another type of onion because the spring onion gives a very appealing green point to the salsa.
- The preparation will take about and then the habaneros salpicon is left resting for 2 hours.
- With this recipe you will get 2 cups.
- Finely chop 3 coriander strips and 8 spring onions; then put them in a bowl and reserve.
- Remove the veins and the seeds of 6 habanero peppers.
- Cut into strips the habanero peppers with the ones you worked, upon completion put them in the bowl.
- Also add in the bowl:
- The juice of 2 Bitter Oranges.
- 1/2 tablespoon of Salt.
- Mix very well the habaneros salpicon with a mixing spatula.
- Cover the bowl with a piece of food wrap film, put it in the fridge and leave the habaneros salpicon resting for 2 hours, so the flavors integrate.
Very Spicy and Fresh
Recommendation: If you want to try another salsa with habanero pepper prepare the Ha’ Sikil P’ak , a very interesting salsa.
Did you like the Salpicon?
Other Mexican Recipes
✍ Shrimp Dip
✍ Peasant Rice
✍ Green Chilaquiles