Home >> Salsas and Dips >>
The production of mangos in Mexico is extensive and varied. Although a large part of its production is exported to other countries, during the mango season is easy and economical to get them in any Mexican market. The main producing states are Guerrero, Nayarit and Sinaloa. Thanks to the great abundance of this exquisite and appreciated fruit many recipes are derived, where the mango shows as main ingredient.
In this recipe the mango is used to make a salsa, which is combined with the freshness of the jicama – a food full of properties. Although with this preparation you won’t have a liquid salsa on your table... this preparation consists in presenting all the ingredients cut into small chunks and it can be used to accompany snacks or to put to a fish.
The most interesting part of the salsa are all the secondary ingredients that are used since they are very different and each one provides contrast to the preparation. To name a few ingredients are the tomato, the cucumber, the orange, etc. The salsa is also seasoned with contrasting flavors and as final result you will taste many flavors.
About the Recipe
- This recipe is for beginners, anyone can prepare it.
- As part of the recipe red onion is used and we don’t recommend substituting it for white onion because its flavor is stronger and it will overshadow the other flavors.
- The salsa can be prepared with any type of mango.
- To make the salsa you will need 10 minutes.
- Yields 2 cups of salsa.
- Finely chop 1/4 of a red onion and 1 coriander sprig. Upon completion put them in a bowl and reserve.
- Peel 1/2 jicama, 1/2 cucumber and 1 mango; then set aside.
- Dice the jicama that was peeled, the mango that was peeled and 1 tomato. Upon completion put them in the bowl and reserve.
- Remove the seeds of the cucumber that was peeled, then cut it into half moons and put them in the bowl.
|It is very important to remove the seeds of the cucumber so the salsa doesn’t soften.|
- Also add in the bowl:
- The juice of 1 Lime.
- The juice of 1/2 Orange.
- Pepper to taste.
- 1/4 tablespoon of Salt.
- Mix very well the mango and jicama salsa, with a mixing spatula.
A Different Mixture
Suggestion: If you want to give a spicy touch to the salsa you can add 1 teaspoon of chili powder .
Variation: The mango salsa can also be prepared with avocado or with habanero pepper.
Did you like the Mango Salsa?
♉ School Shark Bread
♉ Veracruz Style Fish
♉ Octopus Ceviche
♉ Crab Tostada